Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do You Recover Lost Data?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 songoten_01

songoten_01

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 20 August 2006 - 10:35 PM

Hey I would like to know if anyone knows how to recover data that has been erased completely. I don't exactly how to retrieve it before it get written over again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 20 August 2006 - 11:10 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer songoten_01 Posted Image
How did you lose your Data...Did you do a complete restore or a complete reinstall of XP?
If you did a restore, most of your files should still be on your harddrive.
if you did a complete(clean)reinstall of XP,sorry they're gone.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 01:32 AM

This is a freebie recovery programme you could try. PC Inspector.

I can't vouch for it but it could be worth a look.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 07:03 AM

I like GetDataBack from http://www.runtime.org/ - but it's fairly expensive. The good point is that you can download a free program to tell you what it will recover before buying it. IMO it's as powerful a program as PCInspector - but is easier to use.

Here's a link to a professional data recovery service who'll give you a free quote. Be advised that this service runs $600 to $1800 for an 80 gB IDE drive (from my research). http://www.drivesolutions.com/datarecovery/index.shtml

Then click on "Request a Quote" on the left hand side.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 07:11 AM

By downloading and installing any software you will overwriting your hard drive, and any data that might have been stored in that area of the hard drive will be LOST FOREVER.

This operation is best done by stopping using the hard drive in question. Install it in another computer as a slave drive, download any programs to the master drive, and then use the programs to find any lost data on your slave drive.

If you have reformatted your hard drive, chances are good that at least some of your data will be recoverable. When you reformat, the data is actually still on the hard drive, it has just been flagged so that it is to be ignored, and eventually it will be overwritten, and at that time it is unrecoverable.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 12:07 PM

When you reformat, the data is actually still on the hard drive, it has just been flagged so that it is to be ignored, and eventually it will be overwritten, and at that time it is unrecoverable.

As AF mentioned,and I should have have in my first post,the more you use the computer,the less chance you will have to recover the data.
Something else you could try is the demo version of DataRecovery Wizard http://www.easeus.com/download.htm
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#7 bridled

bridled

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 01 September 2006 - 03:37 PM

In the past...ok two weeks ago I made use of my data recovery software. I use StompSoft's Recover Lost Data to get some picture files that I had deleted out of my recycle bin. Anyway, I use this software because I can run it right off of the CD thereby minimizing the possibility of loosing the data to an overwrite. Just an idea. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users