Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

changing out the heat sink

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 billy1971

billy1971

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 01 October 2016 - 08:09 AM

is there another way to change out the heat sink on a optiplex 780 mini tower to something smaller ? i have seen where people have put in a water cooler heat sink ,but i dont want to go that route . so is there any other way to do this ,or any other heat sinks that will work?

Edited by hamluis, 01 October 2016 - 09:36 AM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:03 AM

From your MB specs here is seems you have a LGA755. I am not sure what size you are looking for in respect to the one you now have but you can check something like newegg for other sizes.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=lga775%20heatsink&Submit=ENE

Edit: Make sure you clean off the old thermal paste on the CPU with 91% alcohol and apply new. The new heatsink may already have TIM included.

If you have not cleaned a CPU of thermal paste before see this video. The video shows 99% but 91% is fine. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 October 2016 - 09:18 AM.

#3 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 392 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 01 October 2016 - 10:24 AM

I suspect that you may find that standard heat sinks do not fit Dell motherboards.

#4 billy1971

billy1971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 10:44 AM

yea rqt thats why i was asking if anyone knew of any other heatsink coolers that would work on the motherboard. john_c21 i have cleaned and changed thermal paste and replaced the processor, but thanks for the advice. i will check out new egg and see what they have.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 10:48 AM

I PM'd a BC advisor with Dell Optiplex 780 experience. Hopefully he can add some suggestions. 

#6 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 10:52 AM

I have optiplex 780 experience. Here is a replacement cooler, however i'm not sure what 3rd party coolers there are.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#7 billy1971

billy1971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 08:39 PM

captain_ chicken that is already in my tower, i am trying to get it smaller so i will have more room for longer video cards. but thanks anyway

#8 billy1971

billy1971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 08:41 PM

hey john_C21 have you heard anything back yet

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 08:54 PM

Nothing. The person I PM'd usually responds early in the morning. Hopefully you will have a response by tomorrow.

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 04:05 AM

Have you tried a different brand of thermal paste? 

I've been using MX-4 for the last couple of years with good results, available at Amazon or eBay at a reasonable price for 4 grams. If you look to the right, Platinum Micro has it for $7.15 & free shipping. 

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Performance-Compound-Interface-Material/dp/B0045JCFLY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475397157&sr=8-1&keywords=MX-4+thermal+paste

My Dell Optiplex is the Desktop Edition (the middle choice). While it can handle the same amount of RAM & CPU as the Mid-Tower, it's a smaller computer, therefore a 3rd party cooler likely won't work. Since mine was certified refurbished using Microsoft practices, was in excellent shape, and for Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, plus a Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 CPU (the best of the consumer & business series), at $114 shipped, a steal. Because the CPU alone sells for $70-100 alone, plus Windows 7 Pro (OEM) is $129.99. 

I wish that mine was a mid-tower, would slap a EVGA Supernova G2 650 in there & be off to the races, the Q9650 wouldn't bog down a GTX 1060, 1070 & probably not a 1080 either, still a respected CPU today to fetch the price it does, and if one is cleaning an abandoned office to prepare for lease, and finds a new, sealed Q9650, has hit the jackpot, these sold for as high as $800. Which would now purchase either two i7-4790K or i7-6700K CPU's (or one of each :P), the top quad core mainstream models of today. 

Is your CPU running hot? If so, did you purchase the computer new, used or refurbished. If recently, you may be covered by warranty or PayPal coverage on eBay. You may also want to check your fan(s) & make sure to blow through the front air intake. Carefully take a Q-Tip & clean the blades of the fan with only a light amount of alcohol (I also use 91%, even for CPU/Heatsink cleanups & installs, along with the mentioned MX-4 thermal paste. Don't try oiling fans, get the size & order a new one of quality brand, there's a chance of excess oil getting on the MB. Just make sure that a standard fan connector will fit, I know that on the Optiplex 740, this wasn't possible w/out splicing wires. 

How about providing your Speccy specs so that we'll have a look at your hardware? We won't see everything that you do, such as your COA, IP address or anything to identify you. Speccy is great for this. :thumbup2:

How To Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Guide Overview

The purpose of this guide is to teach you how to post your computer's specifications to the forum with minimal effort on your part. This is often helpful when troubleshooting problems, and the person helping you needs to see the details of your computer's hardware.

Tools Needed

• Speccy - First, you will need a Windows program called Speccy. From Piriform's website, Speccy is a "fast, lightweight, advanced system information tool for your PC." This is a very useful utility that every PC user should have in their arsenal.

Instructions

• Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.pngbutton.
  • Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.
  • You might be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.
  • After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply open it and follow the prompts until installation is complete.
  • If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all > Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.
  • Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    speccy.png
  • Now, in the menu bar at the top left, click File Publish Snapshot
  • You will see the following prompt:
    publish.png
  • Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
    link.png
  • Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, scroll down to the bottom of the page to the "Reply to this topic" section. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click the Postbutton below the Reply box.

Congrats! You have just posted your specs! :thumbsup:

Good Luck with accomplishing whatever you're trying to do! :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 02 October 2016 - 04:31 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#11 billy1971

billy1971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 07:02 AM

cat1092 it's not running hot  it's fine , i have a 1 tb hard drive 16gb of ram and a dual core 3 ghz processor in it for now . will be upgrading to a quad core soon. i am trying to make room in the case to put bigger video cards when i upgrade later. right now i have a radeon hd 6670 video card in there right now and when i went to install it i had to modify the fan shroud just to make it fit. it was hitting the fan shroud on the heatsink cooler. i'm wanting to change out the heat sink cooler to something smaller so that i want have this problem in the further.so i was wondering if anyone had any ideal on what coolers will work. i have seen on youtube where people have put water coolers on theres but i dont want to go that route if i dont have to.

#12 billy1971

billy1971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 07:05 AM

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 05:08 PM

billy1971, I wished mine was the mid tower, I'd go all the way also! :)

The Intel Core 2 Quad 9650 is the best in the consumer/business series of these CPU's, however there were a couple, maybe three 'enthusiast' versions that requires a lot of power. You won't have to upgrade the PSU for a Q9650, though many have to for high powered GPU's, though to be honest, there's NVIDIA branded mid range choices that's not power hungry. If it weren't for that Q9650 in mine, would take the chance of removing the dual bracket off of my MSI branded AMD Radeon 7770 OC edition, some has installed these in the Optiplex mid tower, even though they say '400W power required'. Many also installed the NVIDIA GTX 960 in low powered Alienware computers w/out troubles (around the 300W range), so am sure that you have alternatives. 

Now, in regards to the heatsink/fan replacement, I'd advise to check out the specs & plugs really close, because some of those connectors are proprietary for these models, or maybe there's a chance that a good Socket 775 cooler will fit, there's many that are universal & the Optiplex mid tower is likely larger than today's of the same size class. Once all of that OEM junk is out of the way, you'll have some room to work with. I'm fairly sure that a new GPU can be installed, because those of today uses less power than models of the past (at least on the NVIDIA side). Of course, the more skilled you are, the better, and if you have friends that knows what you don't, that's good also. I'd say that if a PSU upgrade were possible, maybe even the GTX 1060 or 1070 could be installed, while performance will be limited to some degree, it won't be that bad. Be careful with brands, I've found EVGA to be the best, and they're the #1 distributor of NVIDIA GPU's, followed by MSI, also a reputable brand. Other than OEM models, cannot comment on other brands, though I highly suggest to read feedback & reviews, these are everything with unknown components. 

Look at it like this, I took the stock GPU (Dell OEM AMD Radeon 7570, 1GB GDDR5) that has no 6 pin connector out of my XPS 8700, installed a low profile bracket & into the Optiplex 780 DT edition, runs great, with Windows 7 reporting a WEI of 6.9 (the same score that was produced on the XPS 8700), so the x16 slot can't be limiting too badly. The driver was initially the one for the XPS 8700, using 7zip to extract the contents, later on, installed the last driver for it on the AMD site. I have another just like it that I got for $35 on eBay for a now dead HP dc5800, so have a spare. :)  BTW, that card also scored a 6.9 on that PC, so maybe that's it's limit, I even used MSI Afterburner to jack up both the memory & power settings, though the WEI result was the same. Pushing 900MHz on a GDDR5 card for $35 isn't bad, plus a UEFI approved card. The other number, could only be raised from 650MHz to 675MHz. 

I was going to get a local wiring shop to convert the PSU into a 350-400W one, though he stated that the cost of his work wouldn't pay for itself. He suggested that I find a mid tower of the same BTX case that has a dead MB, or otherwise broken, and transplant my components into that, and order an upscale model from Dell, or if I didn't know how to do the PSU upgrade, get the one of my choice & take it to a qualified shop for replacement, where they have the necessary converters to wire things up w/out splicing & have a professional look. As well as knowing not to overload a circuit, one common mistake that first time 'homebrewers' makes is splicing (or overloading with Molex connectors) too many items on the same line. To be honest, I believe that I could do it, with some Google research & time. 

Yet for now, have other projects to work on. Have over $1,000 in this PC & building another, though the CPU & RAM are coming out of the XPS 8700, the two major expenses are the MB (a ASRock Z97 Extreme6) & for now will reuse my GTX 960, will later purchase a GTX 1060 for it. Then will piece the XPS 8700 back together with RAM that I have on hand, and will find a reasonable cost i3 or i5 1150 CPU on eBay. The i7-4770 that shipped with it deserves a home where there's two 4 pin CPU power inputs to prevent freezing from being starved for power. 

If you check out my sig, you'll see on the 2nd Speccy link a PC that was donated to me, has been totally rebuilt, minus the case & one HDD, an AMD build that cost me only $150 out of pocket. Initially, I wanted to replace the case, though I like it because it's from the early 2000's & very heavy duty (originally a Systemax PC). My guess is that when Dell began price wars in the early 2000's when XP was very popular, this placed many up & coming OEM's out of business. 

At any rate, with dedication to your project, with relentlessly searching for answers, you'll find the info you need to reach your goals. Have been a Dell owner for the last 16 years, and have always found a way to get the most out of what I had, with what resources were available to me. On one occasion, spent too much in doing so, my mother-in-law gave me a Dimension 2400 that I maxed out, capped by the ultimate CPU replacement, an Intel (Northwood) P4 3.06GHz with H/T CPU. Had Intel placed more than 0.5MB L2 cache in the CPU, even if only 2MB, it would have been a Hall of Fame CPU. I know that they had the technology, because I have a P4 mobile CPU that's of the same era with 2MB cache. In other words, the GHz number alone means nothing w/out some memory to give it the boost needed. By the time I finished upgrading the PC, it doubled as a space heater, could drop the thermostat (had to) & close the door, even with a fan going & 20F outdoors, the PC room was toasty within an hour. Had to open the door once per hour to let some heat out. :P

One last thing & I'm out of here for now, though will do some researching on my own for you. :)

This is a very recent Topic in regards to the same PC. You may be interested in the part about the GPU slot, could save you some heartache, yet just because one person says it, that doesn't mean it's cast into stone. 

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/368151-28-optiplex-upgrade

Good Luck! :thumbsup:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#14 billy1971

billy1971
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 07:19 PM

thanks cat1092 , for all the feed back, i have already upgraded my psu to a 500 watt  FSP Group AURUM S 500W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Active PFC Power Supply .so i will keep researching for more answers. and thanks again

Edited by billy1971, 02 October 2016 - 07:23 PM.

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 09:28 PM

It was by a stroke of luck that on the Dell Hardware Forum, that I learned that the specs of these PC's had been mis-published, both on Dell & Intel's site (the Q45/43 chipset). It was stated on Intel's site & still is, that the chipset can handle 8GB max RAM, and that what I purchased. After discovering on the Dell site that an Optiplex 780 DT owner (the same form factor as mine) was running 12GB RAM, I knew there was stink in the air & began chasing. 

Dell wasn't innocent on this either, just as in the past, they misled customers, also stated that my Dimension 2400 could run 1GB RAM max when it would run 2GB, my former Latitude C640 1GB when it would handle 2GB, so this made three times that Dell misled me alone. Then when I began chasing for an answer on the Dell Hardware Forum, their 'Rockstars' & Moderators stuck to their word, at first. Then I found the Topic where a member stated that the PC was running 12GB, so I asked what was the Dell P/N for the 4GB RAM modules. Everyone played dirt stupid. How can Dell name a member a 'Rockstar' when they don't know what's going on? In fact, I wasn't the only one asking, yet I was the one whom provided the proof, it was mentioned on this forum.

Look at the Intel page (4th link on page), which is a sack of lies & stands uncorrected to this day. Yet the Topic & the links within explains my entire ordeal with the upgrade. You'll also probably see the GPU & SSD upgrade as well, had to find a chipset driver to make Samsung Magician, as well as TRIM & other features SSD needs, to work properly. :)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/603198/dell-optiplex-780-dt-16gb-ram-issue-conflicting-information/

By the time I purchased what was shown to be the max RAM ($36 for four 2GB sticks), two RMA's on my dime at Newegg, though I challenged the last, because the GSkill 'chat' person said that the 2nd set or Ripjaws was 'the set' & was refunded return shipping on 2nd set, though not expedited on the first set, by that time I was told that 'double sided' modules were needed, and as seen in Topic, found on Amazon fast & review after review stated that the set was what the doctor ordered for the PC.

In fact, looked again, the very first two reviewers wanted it for the Optiplex 780 & it worked. :thumbsup:

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-DDR3-1600-PC3-12800-CT2KIT51264BA160B-CT2CP51264BA160B/dp/B00683X4PQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

How can Dell Tech Support be so ignorant? Many of these staff members roams their Hardware Forum to assist users, to include paid 'Liaisons' & of course, their 'Rockstars'. :angry:

I believe as a 16 year Dell owner of one model or the other during the period between 2000 & today, am over-qualified to be a member of the latter group. :P

BTW, here's the either outright false or outdated & never revised, specs of the Q45/43 chipsets. While I've seen lots of DDR2 RAM on the Q35/33 ones, not the former (what the article discusses), and have worked on countless used (for others), trashed, donated (worked as a volunteer for a charity to rehome discarded & donated computers), as well as my own, and have yet to see DDR2 RAM in PC's with the Intel Q45/43 chipset. Maybe there were some, seems that I'd seen a few in working on at least 600 donated & discarded computers for the charity alone, the total number is closer to 900-1000 or more in a 9 year span & counting. Though I've slowed down a lot as of late, am not as mobile as once was, and unable to go from home to home donating time for no more than expenses incurred. 

http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/prodbrief/320665.pdf

However, I maintain a list of very close friends & relatives whom I gladly do work for when called upon, and am not going to allow myself to be rushed anymore, the one thing I didn't like at the volunteer center that closed. During the last few months in particular, quality volunteers seen the writing on the wall & left, though I felt needed & stayed until the end. Ended up with more components than I had room for, so had to rent a storage room until the supply was very low, being still very active, worked my way through most of it, what was left I gave to a friend who worked on older computers. 

Of course, I have no shortage of friends, and plenty of fresh veggies in the season, and am invited to a few private gatherings every season (brunswick stew & pig shoulder time is coming). :)

Yet anyway, myself & others set the Dell Hardware Forum straight on the max RAM for Optiplex 780 PC's. :thumbsup:

I'd like to get rid of that bulky cooler in mine & install a regular Intel one, seems like all of that packed space would impede air flow, possibly an issue the OP is concerned with. The GPU in the Optiplex 780 is the least powerful, yet the hottest running component in the PC. Maybe I need to get creative & add a small exhaust fan where the three unused PCI slots are, connecting by using a PVM cable to the CPU's fan? Or daisy chain to the native exhaust. I feel though that the best results would be obtained via a Molex connector, running wide open pushing hot air out. By now, chances are, both the intake & exhaust fans could stand replacement, even though both are quiet. :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 02 October 2016 - 09:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users