Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win10 boot folder and program files disappeared

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cw0024

cw0024

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 01 October 2016 - 02:51 AM

I did a clean install of Windows 10 on my new SSD for my Lenovo laptop like 4 months ago. And Windows 10 was working fine until I dualboot up my old Windows 8 that was still on my HDD to use a program. Then later when I try boot Win10 up it failed, and I find through cmd that all files and folder like Windows, Program Files, Users, etc. went missing on my Win10 SSD (only log files remained), but I know they are there because there is around 40GB of data used up on the SSD, while only 7GB showing.

At first I used just sfc /scannow on another laptop to fix it, and my files and folder reappeared. When I thought I fixed it and plugged it back to boot it, the same thing happened again, all the important folders disappeared. Again, I ran cmd as admin, but when I tried

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=d:\ /offwindir=d:\windows 

It says, Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service. Ever since then I can't fix it using sfc /scannow.

I also tried checkdisk and defragment tool, but it does nothing significant. Then, I used Recuva to recover data, but no relevant data shows up. However, I do notice the path of the files that Recuva recovered is of the form "D:\?\...".

So, I suspect that when I boot up my Win8 it triggered something in the Bios, and did something (maybe hide partitions?) on my SSD. Or did Win10 locks and hid my files and folders so that no one can access it? Does anyone know how to fix it and how it might have happened? 

I desperately need help. Thanks in advance for the help.

Edited by cw0024, 01 October 2016 - 03:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 01 October 2016 - 05:54 AM

The SFC command cannot repair or restore delete programs, Make sure to open the command prompt as a administrator and type Dir /a D:\ to check all folders are missing or not. Replace the D:\ letter with Windows 10 partition assigned drive letter.

When you install Windows 10 was the Windows 8 already installed on the hard disk drive?

2GvnEq2.gif

#3 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 01 October 2016 - 06:05 AM

When you install Windows 10 was the Windows 8 already installed on the hard disk drive?

OP said ....Win 10 on SSD , and Win 8 old HDD.

Dual Booting messed things up id say.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:27 AM

Then OP is not dual booting because a dual boot system is a computer system in which two operating systems are installed on the same hard drive.

2GvnEq2.gif

#5 cw0024

cw0024
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 02:29 PM

I tried Dir /a D:\ and it shows: (D: is the drive where I had Win10)

$Recycle.Bin
$SysReset
bdlog.txt
bootmgr
BOOTNXT
Documents and Settings [C:\User]
found.000
hiberfil.sys
Logs
pagefile.sys
swapfile.sys
Windows

Inside the windows folder there is 1 folder named Logs.

Then OP is not dual booting because a dual boot system is a computer system in which two operating systems are installed on the same hard drive.

Sorry I did not know that dual booting meant two OS on same hard drive. I had Windows 8 before in HDD (it was getting really slow), so I bought a new SSD and did a clean install of Win10. FYI, I am using Lenovo laptop that has UltraBay, so I swapped the SSD with the HDD, and the HDD in UltraBay.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 02:40 PM

When you try to boot Windows 10 do you get any error message, can you explain what happen when you boot Windows 10?

2GvnEq2.gif

#7 cw0024

cw0024
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 03:02 PM

When you try to boot Windows 10 do you get any error message, can you explain what happen when you boot Windows 10?

When I boot it up, and at the Windows loading screen, it shows Windows is trying to repair. Then the trouble shooting screen showed up saying Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC then it refers to a log file located in D:\Windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt which I can't access because that directory disappeared.

I can try and reinstall Win10 and keep the existing data, but do you think it will recover the lost data?

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 03:12 PM

You should Reset the Windows 10 and select option to keep your personal files. Deleted files cannot be recover by Windows only data recovery software my recover some of the deleted files but i suggest you run the data recovery before resetting Windows 10.

2GvnEq2.gif

#9 cw0024

cw0024
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 03:26 PM

I did use Recuva to try and restore the data, but nothing relevant shows up (I believe they were the data that I deleted back on Win10).

Any recovery software that you can recommend?

Actually do you think it is possible when I boot up Win8, it took ownership of my Win10 and thought it was its operating system and messed up?

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 03:15 AM

You can use PhotoRec its not be the simplest tool to use, but it's one of the most effective.

Windows 8 install on another hard disk drive and as long as you have done nothing to delete files Windows will not as well.

May i ask why are you using Command Prompt to acess your files on Windows 10 storage drive why don't you use Windows Explorer.

The best free file recovery software 2016

2GvnEq2.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users