Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovering lost partition tables should be easy

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MtnGoatXJ

MtnGoatXJ

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 01 October 2016 - 12:40 AM

What am I missing? I have a copy of DiskInternals and Easeus partition recovery tools.that cannot find the missing partition table/data. I have recovered most of the data from this drive with unknown success. So there is data there. Can the partition(s) be recreated? I like to think that this is possible.

I can say that customer support from DiskInternals has not been helpful. Their products I've been told are forensic to copy recovered data to another location. Not to restore partitions or data on the original drive.

So can somebody recommend a product that will locate lost partitions and restore to the original drive?

Not looking for a freebee. Just a product that works with the original drive.

Drive info: 1TB Seagate, Windows 7 Home. OEM partitioning HP Pavillion 500 series

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 01 October 2016 - 11:43 AM

Look at Testdisk. It has a bit of a learning curve. Download the 32bit version even for 64bit OSs. The drive you are trying to recover the partitions from should be attached to another computer when doing the scan. It is possible to run testdisk from a bootable linux disk but I recommend you do the scanning in Windows with the drive attached to another computer.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step 

The first thing I would do is select Advanced at the Menu Window then Boot. See if your Boot Sector is okay.

#3 MtnGoatXJ

MtnGoatXJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 12:39 PM

Yes. I have the "damaged" drive tethered to my bench PC used specifically for repairing drives.

I'll give Testdisk a try and get back to report soon.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 12:47 PM

When you look in Disk Management with the drive attached how is it detected? Does it list the drive as RAW or not initialized? 

Edit: I'm surprised Disk Internals Partition Recovery could not repair the disk. That program, from my understanding, is very good at recovering lost partitions.

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 October 2016 - 12:49 PM.

#5 MtnGoatXJ

MtnGoatXJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 01:16 AM

Not initialized. Yes the big disapointment was that DI does not repair but recovers to a different drive

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 08:04 AM

Not initialized is not good. I'm surprised you were able to recover any data. What software was used.

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 October 2016 - 08:05 AM.

#7 MtnGoatXJ

MtnGoatXJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2016 - 09:44 PM

Its DiskInternals Partition Recovery. Might be some incredible software but the process is not very well documented.

At least for novices that need some guidance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users