Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Webroot Spysweeper

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 20 August 2006 - 10:22 PM

Windows XP Home SP2
Dell Dimenstion 2400
256 RAM
Dial-up 56 K modem

I downloaded the trial version of SpySweeper to try it out. One, I wanted to see if it might find anything that my other security programs weren't and second, I wanted to compare it with Zone-Alarm's Anti-Spyware. I disabled the real-time protection of Zone-Alarm's Anti-Spyware while trying it out.

First, it didn't find anything even with the most comprehensive scan.

Second: I noticed that its real protection frequently will be searching or writing on my hard drive, the program doesn't say what it's doing, and consequently I hear sounds from my drive on a fairly frequent basis. Looking in Task Manager, I noticed that virtual/RAM memory was frequently around 356 while this was going on, not a good thing on my system. ZoneAlarm Anti-Virus, e-mail real-time protection, and the firewall, Ad-Watch, Spyware Guard, FireFox, and Thunderbird were the only other applications that were running.

Finally, I noticed when I rebooted as part of the installation process and each subsequent restart, SpySweeper was trying to change a registration value with my Intelligent Modem Event Monitor. I blocked each attempt. The monitor alerts me if I have my modem unplugged, if the phone line is busy etc. I NEED this service as my father frequently doesn't get the phone hung up properly and because I sometimes forget that I unplugged the modem, or rather the phone line into the surge protector. If I don't, the surge protector gets fried if there's an electrical storm surge. I went through 3 surge protectors in a month before I started the unplug method.

Questions: Why would SpySweeper want to change the alert system for my modem monitor? What is it doing in real-time protection that takes up so many resources and that sounds almost like it's grinding my hard drive?

I have subsequently uninstalled the program and deleted everything associated with it. With ZoneAlarm's real-time spyware protection in action, virtual memory/RAM usage is less by at least 100 and sometimes more, and I don't get that grinding sound from my drive.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:02 PM

Some interesting reading on Webroot's SpySweeper.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• Topic Starter

• 36,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:22 PM

Most interesting TMacK. In my case, I have Java disabled in the browser, and FireFox, at least, doesn't have that BHO.

I just wonder what it wanted to do with my Modem Event Monitor?

Leave it to me to have odd problems that no one else seems to have. :thumbsup:

Orange Blossom :flowers:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 21 August 2006 - 10:22 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users