Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"The drive where windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again"

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 gdfgfdga

gdfgfdga

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 30 September 2016 - 08:58 PM

Hey Guys,

I needed to install SQL Server 2014 Management Studio for a database course that I'm taking. I wasn't able to load the database, so I played around with the C drive permissions and I ended up losing all access to my C drive. If I try to go anywhere like Acer Recovery Management or C: Security Tab or UAC, I get "access is denied". I have my Windows 8 recovery USB and I played around in the command prompt but ended up making it worse. (Before I could still log on and use Chrome) but now I'm getting "\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD - You'll need to use Recovery tools" It messed up when I tried this command "bcdboot c:\Windows /l en-us /s x: /f ALL" I tried all the other commands from this website:

but haven't bought it yet. I know it can be fixed from the command prompt but I'm not sure how. When I try "Reset / Refresh your PC" from the recovery media, I still get "The drive where windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again" I have all my files saved on Google drive so I don't mind losing anything. What can you suggest?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,636 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 30 September 2016 - 09:22 PM

Doesn't the Windows USB recovery drive allow you to do a System Restore? If not you can download the Windows 8.1 install media using the media creation tool.

Boot the disk and click the Repair Computer link in the lower left window. Do a System Restore to a date just before your changes. This should take care of the permission issues

See the heading

Booting to Recovery Environment with Windows 8/8.1 installation media or Recovery Drive/System Repair Disc

https://www.winhelp.us/repair-your-computer-in-windows-8.html

If after doing the System Restore you still get the EFI error then select Startup or Automatic Repair. You may need to do this three times before Windows does a complete repair.

#3 gdfgfdga

gdfgfdga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 06:13 PM

Hey John,

No, system restore doesn't work. There's no available restore points. I get the error "To use system restore, you must specify which Windows installation to restore." Automatic repair doesn't work. It's a problem with the BCD that needs to be fixed from the command line. When I try to back up the BCD, I get the error "The system cannot find the file specified." I also get the error "Failure when attempting to copy boot files." when I try to do "bcdboot C:\Windows /l en-us /s p: /f ALL (P: is the letter I assigned for the ESP volume). It has to be that the BCD file is missing somehow. I need to retrieve it somehow. Thanks,

Sarah

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,636 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 06:21 PM

A startup repair should repair a bad BCD unless it is missing. Boot the install disk. When you get to the first screen that lists language press Shift + F10. This will open a command prompt. Type the following.

diskpart

list disk

select disk X    where X is your Windows disk. If you only have one disk X will be 0

list volume

Post a screenshot or post the output.

#5 gdfgfdga

gdfgfdga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 11:00 PM

Attached File  1475380878279-1047923671.jpg   109.29KB   1 downloads

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,636 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 08:00 AM

I understand you tried and it failed but see if the following works. For some reason, maybe fatigue, I missed your attempt to use bcdboot. I was going to suggest the following. You can try these commands again but I believe you will get the same result.

Open diskpart again and type the following commands.

diskpart

list disk

select disk 0

list volume

select volume 3

assign letter=F    Note: I do not see a P: assigned to the EFS partition in your image. If you wish you can still use P:

exit

At the normal command prompt type the following. 

bcdboot C:\Windows /s F:

Substitute P: for F: if you are using P:

Reboot.

If the computer still does not boot then I am out of ideas on this one, sorry.

#7 gdfgfdga

gdfgfdga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 10:16 AM

When I entered the last command I got "failure when attempting to copy boot files". Its alright, Thanks John.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,636 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 10:54 AM

I think your only option at this point it to do a reset with the option to keep your personal files. That may work but you would lose all your installed programs. You would need to boot a Windows 10 install disk in order to get to the reset menu. Do you need any personal data off the drive?

Edit: Were you using a Windows 8 recovery disk to do the commands? I'm wondering if using a Windows 10 disk would make a difference?

Edit Edit: Did you come across this page on your search. It may be worth doing fixboot first and then the diskpart commands.

https://blog.d0zingcat.xyz/2015/09/28/Windows/How%20to%20repair%20the%20EFI%20Bootloader%20in%20Windows%2010/

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 October 2016 - 11:04 AM.

#9 gdfgfdga

gdfgfdga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 03:33 PM

I haven't tried that link but it appears to be useful. I was using a Windows 8 USB recovery disk. How would I get my hands on a Windows 10 install disk? I don't need any files on the C drive. I saved everything on Google Drive. Thanks John

Sarah

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,636 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 03:53 PM

Because you are already activated you can download the install media using the Windows 10 media creation tool. You can do a clean install and the OS will self-activate as your license is on the Microsoft Servers.

I prefer to use the iso option. This lets you have the option of burning the iso to a DVD or use the iso with Rufus to create a bootable flash drive. Run Rufus and select GPT partition scheme if your computer came pre-installed with Windows 8. Leave all boxes as checked. Where you see FreeDos in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the iso file you downloaded. Press Start. Backup any needed  data on the flash drive as it will be formatted. 

Most Modern computer have a boot menu by tapping a key at boot. Select your boot device. For Acer it's F12. If you cannot access the boot menu by tapping F12 you need to enable it in UEFI settings. 

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3182/~/why-cant-i-get-the-f12-boot-menu-to-work-on-my-notebook-or-netbook%3F

See this guide on doing a clean install. It is for Windows 8 but the same holds for Windows 10

You may need to install some additional drivers such as Wifi from the Acer support site for your computer. After the computer is up and running with all updates installed I would advise doing a complete disk image to an external drive using either Macrium Free or Aomei Backupper. Both allow the creation of a boot disk or USB flash drive that will allow you to recover in case the computer no longer boots because of malware or a failed drive. This would let you be back running in minutes vs hours.

#11 gdfgfdga

gdfgfdga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 05:12 PM

Great to know, Thanks a lot John. I have to wait until next weekend to have access to a computer that allows me to run the Windows 10 media creation tool. I will try the link from your previous reply and if that fails then I will try a clean install.

Sarah

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,636 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 05:18 PM

Good Luck. If you have the time please post an update.

#13 gdfgfdga

gdfgfdga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:51 PM

Hi John,

I visited an internet cafe near my apartment and used the Windows Media Tool to download Windows 10 using Rufus/USB. When I tried to clean install, I got the error message "WIndows could not retrieve information about the disks on this computer." I think I need to type some advanced commands in the command prompt to fix it. Any ideas? Thanks.

Sarah

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,636 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:56 PM

I am not sure if the drive is failing or not. Boot your Windows 10 USB. At the window that asks for language press Shift + F10. This will open a command prompt.

Type the following

diskpart

list disk

Do you see your hard drive listed? Is the hard drive detected in your UEFI/BIOS settings? Tap F2 at boot.

Edit: if your hard drive is detected then do the following commands.

diskpart

list disk

select disk 0

clean    -   This will wipe the disk of all data including any programs or personal data on the drive

convert GPT

exit

exit

continue with the install per the guide I linked to in my previous post #10.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 October 2016 - 09:42 PM.

#15 gdfgfdga

gdfgfdga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2016 - 12:31 AM

I am not sure if the drive is failing or not. Boot your Windows 10 USB. At the window that asks for language press Shift + F10. This will open a command prompt.

Type the following

diskpart
list disk

Do you see your hard drive listed? Is the hard drive detected in your UEFI/BIOS settings? Tap F2 at boot.

Edit: if your hard drive is detected then do the following commands.

diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
clean    -   This will wipe the disk of all data including any programs or personal data on the drive
convert GPT
exit
exit

continue with the install per the guide I linked to in my previous post #10.

OH MY GOD John!! You fixed it! I was so close to giving up and bringing it to a repair shop. You probably saved me at least $100. Thank you sooo much =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users