Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 forced shutdown on malware/virus detection

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 webrat

webrat

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:25 PM

Hey folks,

As the title states I ran a routine AVG scan today and at around the 45% mark it came up with 11 detections, then a pop up immediately appeared saying Windows would shut down in one minute and I should close all programs. The PC then froze forcing me to do a manual hard reset. I've run Malwarebytes and that completed but showed nothing amiss. I've also tried re-installing AVG using a random name for the exe file. This made no difference and the same thing occured -11 file detections, warning, freeze. The only thing I've done recently that's out of the ordinary is install Geforce Experience (basically a graphic driver updater) manually after the auto-update failed and appeared to damage the program. This appeared to be as expected. I'm running windows 10, fully updated. I'm now at a bit of a loss as to how to proceed so any advice would be useful. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 webrat

webrat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2016 - 08:00 PM

Just an update. I managed to get Avast (Free) anti virus to install using a completely random name for the exe file. It turned up nothing when I ran it (although I'm not convinced it's the best anti-virus out there so still not convinced I've got a clean bill of health). I also installed spybot and that came up clean apart from the usual cookies and core registery files it likes to be rid of. 

#3 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 30 September 2016 - 09:04 PM

Does Spybot (or SuperAntiSpyware, for that matter) really truly find anything other than cookies anymore? :football:

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#4 Azsouth

Azsouth

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:49 AM

first post on this forums, just wanted to say I'm encountering the same thing. I restored my system to an earlier date last night and ran several AVG runs while my 1 malwarebytes run was running and nothing happened after the restore, upon the malewarebytes completion it found 5 things that apparently needed the computer to restart to get rid of, so I did the restart and the computer decided it would update windows 10 during this time as well. When I got back on after the update I ran another AVG scan out of curiosity and sure enough at 19% it found something like 20 files and that same dreaded message poped up again closing the computer before the scan could complete. The shutdown only seems to happen once whatever this damn this is, is detected as after the restart I started running a malwarebytes scan (thats still running) and havn't run an AVG scan as I noticed it only happens when it's detected. The only thing different w/ the computer since the restore was the automatic windows 10 update, unfortunately idk which update is causing the problem nor do I want to uninstall something that is going to keep coming back whether I want it or not (windows updates are automatic and idk how to shut them down). Anyone have ideas on how I should proceed given what I think I know about this damn thing? I can simply never run AVG again and my computer will seemingly work but I really don't want a appears to be a virus from windows 10 itself on my computer. Thanks in advance,

-Azsouth

Edited by Azsouth, 01 October 2016 - 09:51 AM.

#5 webrat

webrat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 12:35 PM

Ok, that's.....interesting. I also updated Win 10 but that was a day (or so) before running the AVG so I didn't see an immediate connection. You may well be onto something there.

#6 Azsouth

Azsouth

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 01 October 2016 - 03:47 PM

just as an update, I changed something in windows that would stop it from automatically turning off from a site called thewindowsclub, I had a link but apparently the forums won't let me post it. After the malwarebytes scan that came up w/ nothing this time I did an AVG scan out of curiosity and to my surprise it didn't find anything, i ran AVG 5 more times after w/ no issue. The only thing I did was what the article i mentioned said to do about turning off the automatic restart so idk if it's just dumb luck or there may still be a virus in my computer. Either way everything seems fine at the moment.

Edited by Azsouth, 01 October 2016 - 03:50 PM.

#7 Bromil

Bromil

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 01 October 2016 - 05:17 PM

Another first-time poster here chiming in with the same problem.  The only major change I'd made to my system since the last AVG scan was installing the Windows 10 Anniversary Update and a subsequent cumulative update, so I suspect one of those was the culprit.

Based on Azsouth's advice, I tried the trick of disabling the automatic restart.  AVG just finished, and it didn't find a single virus this time.  I have no idea why that one change would suddenly solve the problem, but I won't complain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users