Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Soaking an Xbox One system in isopropyl?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:53 PM

Hey all, Not sure which area to put this, but as it's not a PC thought I should give this a go, apologies if it's wrong!! 

Basically my friends Xbox One has recently broken having spilt a glass of water over it, It was turned off immediately and attemped to dry it (not opened it up)
The Xbox obviously consists of PC parts pretty much so thought this would be the best place to turn, 

The issue caused reminded me of an episode of "Dragons den" in which an entrpreneur explained that the cause of damage to the mobile he used in his example is not specifically the liquid, but the minerals in the water we drink/use attaching themselves to components, He created a solution that is 70% isopropyl (trying to find the other ingredients) and has had quite good success in reparing mobile phones. 

The solution is used on mobiles (Reviveaphone) but I wondered if the same would be said of all electronics, mainly my friends Xbox Motherboard. 

As he is pretty much on last chance saloon, The Xbox powers up each time, Sometimes it boots (not rare enough to play it properly) and more often than not shows the power light on, then boots off within seconds, It sounds to me like something is shorting the circuit, which could possibly be minerals from the water on the system. 
(I think you see where this is going, it consists a motherboard and lots of isopropyl) 

Has anyone ever tried this with electronics and what was the outcome? Is there anything else to try before we potentially kill it completely/save it?

Thanks!

Lee 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:31 PM

Isopropyl alcohol is a solvent. It may dissolve seals or types of adhesives in the Xbox. I am not sure what other chemicals are involved (alongside the alcohol) in that "Dragon's Den" episode. I would use distilled water, as I know that can not cause further damage once dry. Cleaning the Xbox components with distilled water is a bit of a process, you can not just soak it and dry it. You must wash it gently with distilled and dry it off gently, with a lint free towel.

#3 Knowlesy

Knowlesy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 30 September 2016 - 09:18 PM

Isopropyl alcohol is a solvent. It may dissolve seals or types of adhesives in the Xbox. I am not sure what other chemicals are involved (alongside the alcohol) in that "Dragon's Den" episode. I would use distilled water, as I know that can not cause further damage once dry. Cleaning the Xbox components with distilled water is a bit of a process, you can not just soak it and dry it. You must wash it gently with distilled and dry it off gently, with a lint free towel.

Would there be adhesives on the motherboard? You mean like motherboard glue?

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,598 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:16 AM

Vinegar dissolves minerals, not alcohol. Do some research.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users