Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having trouble picking a right laptop, help maybe?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 idnotknow

idnotknow

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 30 September 2016 - 03:41 PM

Hello to whoever is reading this post :) I hope you have a wonderful day and perhaps you may be able to help me. So my issue is that I cannot decide what gaming laptop i should get... I have done a lot of research and still Im kind of lost. So if you can please share your own personal favourites. The reason I'm buying a laptop rather than a pc is because im a student and i move a lot and i dont really fancy a n idea of carrying a massive tower with me. I need a laptop that will be able to run MASS EFFECT ANDROMEDA my favoutite series and i would also like my future laptop to run the games like overwatch and some new demanding games not necessarily on ultra high quality but at least recomended. As i mentioned I am a student so im not rich and my budget is limited. Please give me an advice for a new laptop, this would really make my life easier. My budget is between £700-£1000 (i live in the uk) preferably something on the lower end of the price XD it would also be great if the recommended laptop could serve me a few years with the release of new games. I'm not a no life gamer, would like to but the subjects I'm doing require a lot of work. Don't have a prefered laptop brand so suggest anything you think is good , however im not really friend with HP as i heard that their pc and laptops brake very fast so...

Thank you very much, really appreciate your help. Have a nice day. ^_^

TL;DR Need a new gaming laptop. Budget £700-£1000 need to run games like upcoming Mass Effect Andromeda at least on recomended settings and a laptop that will last me a few years.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 01 October 2016 - 04:57 PM

A laptop that would both fit your price and performance requirements would use a GTX 965M. There are a lot that use a GTX 960m and a GTX 950m in that price range, but both are much much weaker since they're based off the, now 2 year old bear minimum for AAA gaming, entry level GTX 750ti. Where as the GTX 965m is based off the much newer and more powerful desktop GTX 960. That first number of the name indicates the generation for it. So the 965m uses a 2 generations newer graphics chip. 

Normally I don't recommend HP made laptops, but there's slim picking in the UK it seems. 

Here's the HP Omen 15-ax000na for £931. It may seem pricey, but it has a lot of good features.

• Back-lit keyboard for easy low light use (you have no idea how much that comes in handy for a laptop). 
  • A powerful Intel 6th gen quad core CPU for heavy gaming, but can also throttle itself down to sip power for when you're just taking notes in class. . 
  • A SDD as the main drive. Lets it use very little power, while also booting and loading programs insanely fast. 
  • A 2nd mechanical drive for storage- it only turns on when in use. So if you're in class it won't be sucking power down, but when you're back in your dorm it'll spin back up to load huge games. 
  • 15 inch slim form factor for easy mobile use.

I could go on, but the main thing to note is that since picking are slim in the UK there aren't any other real options. That said, as the only option, it is a good option for the price. 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#3 idnotknow

idnotknow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 08:32 AM

A laptop that would both fit your price and performance requirements would use a GTX 965M. There are a lot that use a GTX 960m and a GTX 950m in that price range, but both are much much weaker since they're based off the, now 2 year old bear minimum for AAA gaming, entry level GTX 750ti. Where as the GTX 965m is based off the much newer and more powerful desktop GTX 960. That first number of the name indicates the generation for it. So the 965m uses a 2 generations newer graphics chip. 

Normally I don't recommend HP made laptops, but there's slim picking in the UK it seems. 

Here's the HP Omen 15-ax000na for £931. It may seem pricey, but it has a lot of good features.

• Back-lit keyboard for easy low light use (you have no idea how much that comes in handy for a laptop). 
  • A powerful Intel 6th gen quad core CPU for heavy gaming, but can also throttle itself down to sip power for when you're just taking notes in class. . 
  • A SDD as the main drive. Lets it use very little power, while also booting and loading programs insanely fast. 
  • A 2nd mechanical drive for storage- it only turns on when in use. So if you're in class it won't be sucking power down, but when you're back in your dorm it'll spin back up to load huge games. 
  • 15 inch slim form factor for easy mobile use.
I could go on, but the main thing to note is that since picking are slim in the UK there aren't any other real options. That said, as the only option, it is a good option for the price.
Thank you wery much, will consider that laptop. In my opinion the mi imum graphic card requirement for current laptops is 960m but well I don't think it is going to last me a long time. Maybe i should look a little bit further and saving my money? What would you say is the current idea gaming laptop with a reasonable price that will last me some time?

#4 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 12:19 PM

In my opinion the mi imum graphic card requirement for current laptops is 960m but well I don't think it is going to last me a long time. Maybe i should look a little bit further and saving my money? What would you say is the current idea gaming laptop with a reasonable price that will last me some time?

The one I linked actually. The 965m it uses is a pretty powerful GPU for a laptop. The 950m is weaker then a Xbox One, a 960m is slightly more powerful then it.....like the revised version of the Xbone that's clocked a tad higher, but a 965m is a hair more powerful then a PS4.

The next step up would be something like the Asus ROG Strix GL502VM-DB71-HID1 for £1300. The GPU in it is a variant of the GTX 1060, and is about 80% faster over the GTX 965m in the other laptop. The beefier GPU gives it a much longer life-span in terms of gaming, but whether or not that's worth the additional charge is up to you. Also to keep in mind is that's the base model of it, and doesn't use a SSD. Meaning a worse battery life and a general slower use experience. The one with it is here, and is almost £1400. 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#5 idnotknow

idnotknow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 01:57 PM

Well have to save my money but tha k you for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users