Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet browsing very slow since Win10 Anniv Update

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GPyrenees

GPyrenees

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 30 September 2016 - 02:45 PM

Hi BleepingComputer,

I seem to have messed something up over here and I'm not quite sure how I did it, but this machine has had problems with Windows installs and updates since I bought it a couple of years ago. 

The Windows 10 Anniversary Update made its way onto my laptop a few nights ago, which is when I first noticed the buggy browsing. I've since reverted to the previous build but the problem has persisted.

The laptop is connected to the internet via Wi-Fi, along with my cell phone and work computer. I've experienced no problems with the latter two devices which continue to run just as well as they did before. I've scanned with Avast and Malwarebytes with no results. I made sure that the drivers were updated and the browsers were permitted to go through the firewall (Firefox is as slow as Chrome) and everything seems to be fine there. I also Googled the problem and tried fiddling with the Auto-Tuning and Windows Update Delivery Optimization features to no avail. I don't have an ethernet cable to test the direct connection.

I'm not really sure what to try next - could someone please help me out? I'm not especially tech savvy either so I might have a lot of questions, sorry. I feel like I'm suffocating with such slow internet speed and it's even keeping me from successfully running a speed test...

Thanks!

EDIT: I managed to run a few speed tests. Results were:

PING         DL             UL

54ms    0.07mps    6.32mps

45ms    0.05mps    0.01mps

47ms    0.47mps    4.59mps (after I'd stopped a torrent that was running)

Whereas my work computer in the same room gets:

PING         DL             UL

45ms    26.46mps   10.17mps

The torrent d/l speed was completely erratic as well, occasionally jumping as high as 500 kb/s, but running mostly around 20.

Edited by GPyrenees, 30 September 2016 - 02:46 PM.

GP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,046 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 04 October 2016 - 07:22 PM

Ok, I doubt the problem is related to what I mention below but, the below methods might speed things up a bit until you can solve the root cause of the problem. 1.Make all plugins click-to-play (some browsers call this ask to activate), by not loading flash content and such unless asked for pages have a lot less data to have to handle so run much faster 2.Run an adblocker, adverts can be very hungry in terms of megabytes needed to display them.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 03:23 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course): p22004369.gif

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot. You will see the following prompt:

p22004371.gif

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

p22004372.gif

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users