Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling Windows with no disc

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lyssa615

lyssa615

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 30 September 2016 - 01:49 PM

If I replace my hard drive on my laptop, how would I reinstall Windows? My laptop came pre-loaded with Windows 8.1. I then upgraded to 10. When I did a clean reinstall, I was back to Win 8.1. This did not fix my issues, hence why I want to replace the hard drive. Can I find the product key anywhere? I don't see it on any labels anywhere underneath the laptop. Also, is there anyway to get Windows 10 back without paying for it? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Daydreamed

Daydreamed

• Members
  • 349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 30 September 2016 - 01:58 PM

Hello,

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer!

What was your issue that you were having?

When you reinstall Windows 10, it should either skip the key process or you can skip it. If you remember your key from when you were on Windows 8.1, you can use that one as well.

- Daydreamed

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 30 September 2016 - 01:59 PM

Windows 10 activation is stored on Microsoft's servers. If you wish to clean install Windows 10 then use the Media Creation Tool. If you wish to keep 8.1 you can download 8.1 using it's Media Creation Tool. If the computer came pre-installed with Windows 8 then the key is embedded in firmware and the computer will be activated once online.

To verify if the drive is indeed failing then download Seatools for Windows and do a short/long test on the drive.

Seatools for Windows

How to Use Seatools for Windows

#4 lyssa615

lyssa615
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 30 September 2016 - 02:03 PM

The computer came pre-installed with 8.1, so is the only version I will not need a product key for? 

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 30 September 2016 - 02:15 PM

No, because Windows 10 was activated there is no need for a Windows 10 key as the activation is stored on Microsoft's servers. I believe the term is Digital Entitlement. The license is based on your hardware signature. When you install Windows 10 and access the internet is will self-activate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users