Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 doesn't see CD/DVD files

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PPBart

PPBart

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 30 September 2016 - 01:37 PM

I upgraded to Win 10 some months ago.  Right away I encountered the problem with playing movies -- VLC fixed that, works fine.  Now I have the annoying situation where the system sees the DVD drive, driver is up to date, and Device Manager shows it as working properly.  However, File Explorer will not display the files list!  Hopefully someone here has a fix(?)

Edited by PPBart, 30 September 2016 - 01:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PPBart

PPBart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 09:41 AM

Am I the only one with this problem?  Does no one have a solution?

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,377 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 09:53 AM

Does the drive read anything?

The drive may have failed and that is your issue.  I'd recommend replacing the drive.

#4 PPBart

PPBart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 12:32 PM

The drive may have failed and that is your issue.  I'd recommend replacing the drive.

As stated earlier, I can play movies with the drive thru VLC.  Device manager says the drive has latest driver and is working properly.  Is the data-read capability separate from video?  IOW, could that function be failing now? 

I appreciate the reply and have no problem with replacing the drive if that will fix this problem -- I really need to be able to read this data!

#5 PPBart

PPBart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 04:48 PM

It was a failed (failing?) drive.  I replaced it today with an inexpensive LG GH24 -- that solved the problem!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users