Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

W8.1 and IE11-Constant application and system errors

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JanDT

JanDT

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 30 September 2016 - 10:03 AM

Hi  I hope I can get this post written and sent before W8.1 and IE11 decide to do battle again on my PC. IE 11 starts the fight and stops responding to windows. Windows tries to restart, usually fails. Sometimes Taskhost.exe gets involved. Most incidents are immediately preceded by high CPU usage (95-98%) with just the browser up. Then every thing freezes. IE is not responding or Windows is not responding or website is not responding...  I reboot just so I can perform a normal shut down. This has been going on intermittently since I updated to 8.1 from 8 a few years ago but now it's all out war with these applications and systems.

My PC specs:  HP All-in-one Desktop

CPU-AMD E-1 1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics (1.4 GHz)

RAM-4 GB (3.58 GB usable) DDR3 @532MHz (7-7-7-19)

OS: Windows 8.1, 64-bit operating system, 64-bit based processor

500 GB Seagate HD (465 GB available)

HP DVD optical drive

Realtek High Def Audio

Graphics-1600x900

Browser IE 11 v11.0.9600.18450 (this is according to tools-about IE 11 though actual files state either 11.0.9600.18123 or 11.0.9600.18124 for x86)

Norton AV with monthly Malwarebytes

I don't have a problem with pop-ups, redirects or anything else suspicious.

The only website I can't visit is CenturyLink.com - my ISP. This is new. HP network check shows no issues. ISP is no help.

I will try to attach my last MiniToolBox.

I hope someone can help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JanDT

JanDT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2016 - 10:50 AM

I am adding the attachment for MTB from today. All the IE 11 errors show version 9.0.9600.18124 (x86). Previous MTB from 9/2/16 showed only IE 11 v11.0.9600.18123 and was a much better example.

[attachment=185352:MTB.txt]

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 10:19 AM

You attachment is blank.

Please run sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

To open the Command Prompt press the Windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key at the same time.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click/tap on this.

You will see a window similar to the one below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste in sfc /scannow, then press Enter.

This will take a while,  have patience and allow it finish.  Stopping this scan could damage files.  

When the scan is finished please post the log of this scan.

Do the following to access the sfc /scannow log.

Open the Command Prompt, copy and paste the command below followed by pressing the Enter key.

copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled CBS.   

This log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

Double click on this icon to open the CBS log, copy and paste the log in your dropbox account and post the link in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 JanDT

JanDT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 09:25 PM

https://www.dropbox.com/s/37ub6o9389ua9p5/cbs.txt?dl=0 Hello dc3, Thank you for responding. I almost feel as if I know you already after lurking on this website for so long. Can I say "I'm not worthy" and is there an emoticon for that? Wow! Anyways, hope you didn't draw the short straw on this one.

I first opened a drop box acct on PC. During download of installation, the command prompt box opened and shut twice. I had not yet accessed it per you instructions. Freaked me out. Opened Dropbox account. Next, ran sfc /scannow .  My results were 'Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations'. I'm telling you this in case the dropbox link doesn't work. I received "Adobe quit responding errors, security certificate-not safe (don't know for what, though I think it's for ISP homepage), and had to recover from IE 11 not responding freeze.  Typical.

Thank you again, dc3.        Jan

Edited by JanDT, 02 October 2016 - 09:29 PM.

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 11:49 PM

Follow my instruction at below link to clean boot Windows.

"Clean Boot Windows"

https://dost-tech.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=109

Posted Image

#6 JanDT

JanDT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2016 - 12:56 AM

Hello FreeBooter! I'm sure I did this incorrectly. I performed the windows clean boot and restarted, then restored normal boot state and restarted.  Did you want me to get back online after just the clean reboot and go from there or...  I apologize, your webpage just had "clean boot windows" and "restore normal boot state" but not what to do in the interim. Can we try this again If I did do this incorrectly? You might need to be a little bit more explicit with your instructions, the "Clean Boot Windows" for Dummies version.

Jan

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2016 - 09:23 AM

Hi Jan

My tutorial may be a little clearer and easier for you to follow.  At step 7. you will need to restart your computer.  The computer will restart normally.  If the problem is no longer occurring this indicates that there is a Service causing this problem.

How to perform a Clean Boot.

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Click or tap on the Windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the R key to open Run, then type msconfig in the search box.  This will open System Configuration.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation. 

(1)  Click/tap on the General tab.   

(2)  Click/tap on the Selective startup option. 

(3)  Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box. 

msconfig_zpsuoxvomjq.png

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

4.  Click on the Services tab. 

5.  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running. 

6.  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list. 

clean%20boot%203_zpsyvcjopso.png 

7.  Click on Hide all Microsoft services.  Click on Apply then OK  

clean%20boot%202_zpsekds879g.png

Click on Restart in the window that opens.

When the computer is restarted it will boot normally.  

Let me know if the problem persists after restarting the computer.

If the problem does not continue after the restart please do the following.

8.  Devide the number of these services by two and you place checks in the first half of these, then restart
the computer.

9.  If the problem doesn't return in those services remove the checks and place checks in the remaining
services. 

10.  When you find which half the service is in go on to the next step.  

11.  In the half that the problem came back in you should remove the checks from the first half or the
services.

12.  Restart the computer.  If it isn't in the first half of these services, do the same with the last half of the
services. 

13.  Once you have narrowed it down to the last three or four services remove the checks one at a time till
you find the service at fault.

Once you have found the service post it in your topic.  Do not take any action until I suggest the next step.

Edited by dc3, 03 October 2016 - 09:30 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 03 October 2016 - 12:38 PM

Hello FreeBooter! I'm sure I did this incorrectly. I performed the windows clean boot and restarted, then restored normal boot state and restarted.  Did you want me to get back online after just the clean reboot and go from there or...  I apologize, your webpage just had "clean boot windows" and "restore normal boot state" but not what to do in the interim. Can we try this again If I did do this incorrectly? You might need to be a little bit more explicit with your instructions, the "Clean Boot Windows" for Dummies version.

Jan

I'm sorry if the explanation i have given for clean boot was not clear. I have add the below instruction to my tutorial hopefully these troubleshooting explanations is helpful for understanding how to resolve issues may have been cause by startup program or service.

If the error issue  gets resolved after clean booting Windows then one of the disabled services or startup programs is causing the issue to find out which you will need to enable few of the disabled services and startup programs and restart your computer you will do this process till error issue comes back and when it does then you will one at time disable and restart your computer to find out which enabled service or program causing the error issue.

If the Windows error is caused by a current running process, restart your Windows system using the clean boot method, which will allow you to troubleshoot if a current service or process is causing the error to appear.
With a clean boot only the necessary services and process that are required to operate Windows are started when you boot your computer.

Edited by FreeBooter, 03 October 2016 - 01:03 PM.

Posted Image

#9 JanDT

JanDT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 09:55 PM

dc3, followed your instructions. I am currently at "Let me know if the problem persists...".  So, I am testing and so far my PC has been quite responsive. Browser (IE11) behaving and I have 3 other tabs up and running with no 'not responding errors' and no 'high CPU use' errors for almost an hour now.  It is also a little faster. This is a first for this PC. Ever. I am nervous about your next step (#8) because I don't want to jinx anything, at least for now. OMG, I currently gaming with you tube music in the background while writing this post. Literally a first. Still can't bring up my ISP website (HP network error) and ISP states this is a device problem (PC) because WIFI works. PC and Dish Hopper are wired while all other devices use WIFI. Does that make sense?

So... dc3, as of now, the problem is not persisting and in my current state of euphoria I really don't care what service is at fault. Or do I? Please let me know if steps 8-13 are vital in truly resolving the problem.  I will not take any further action until I hear from you. 

I am still not worthy, Jan

#10 JanDT

JanDT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 05:53 AM

dc3, a brief synopsis after a couple of hours online. You tube quit (error, black screen, come back later), dual non-responding with windows and IE, was able to recover without restart and PC got really slow and mouse no longer worked. Restarted the usual way with a few IE errors with the ability to recover. Retried you tube which quit after a few songs. So, the problem persists. A real buzz kill for my Rocky Mountain 'it's working' High.

I'm going to ask ahead of time, before your next post:  after the restart from clean boot while offline, do I perform steps 8-13 while offline? I don't want to be online and testing to see if problem persists because AV will be disabled. This is what happened to me earlier with browser and 3 tabs running. Shut Norton up and WOW! 

Remember, I need instructions for Dummies.   Jan

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 08:24 AM

Yes, do the process of elimination with the computer off line.  Make this process your priority for the clean boot.

The process of elimination starts by adding checks to half of the Services, then restart.  If the  problem resumes you will know that the Service causing the problem is in that half.

If the problem doesn't resume after the restart remove the checks from the first half of the Services and add checks to the second half of the Services, then restart to see if the problem is indeed in the second half of the Services.

The process of elimination continues by removing half of the checks, then restart.  If the problem doesn't persist you will know that the half without checks contains the Service causing the problem.

Continue to eliminate Services until you find the Services causing the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users