Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I improve the Internet connection on Fatdog?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 PetarSickey

PetarSickey

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 30 September 2016 - 08:58 AM

Fatdog is a standalone linux-based-style operating system that has some connection to puppy Linux although it is not pupply Linux.  It's fatter and different, it's an open source linux.  It's a great environment to work in - has good graphics tools, development tools, word processing, games, a lot of great stuff.

The problem I have is that when I browse the Internet with SeaMonkey (a new Mozilla), I set up my Internet connection with wpa_gui no problem.  I click connect, and it then gets a base id, then an IP address, and I'm connected.  The problem is the connection constantly fails.  After 1, 2, or 3 or more browses, the connection no longer works.  It's a wireless connection.  None of my other machines have this problem - they are all windows.  Perhaps I should go to a static IP address?  After all, it always DHCP's me the same IP address.  But I don't know the answer of what to do when an Internet connection fails periodically soon after the first browse.  I have not downloaded the source code to see if that's the problem - I doubt it.  It's probably something else.  Just wondering if anyone has experience, knowledge, or a suggestion how to deal with this.  I constantly have to disconnect, then click connect again.  It seems like it hangs because it does't give up until I hit disconnect.  Most of the time, I can only browse once, then I have to click disconnect and connect again.

Any help appreciated.

Edited by PetarSickey, 30 September 2016 - 08:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,485 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2016 - 12:34 PM

Please post some detailed information about your computer, or at least your Wireless Card.  Some of these Cards will work better in Windows because that is what they were designed for, you might just need a different Wireless Driver.  There are some puppy guys here that should come along to help.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:26 PM

Hi, Petar. 

Mm. In all fairness, it does sound like a driver, or wi-fi card problem. But since it's a FatDog-specific answer you require, you really need advice from jamesbond & Kirk, the guys who built FatDog. FatDog doesn't have its own, dedicated forum.....but it does have a dedicated section on the Puppy Linux Forums.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php

That's where I'd ask about it, personally. As you so rightly say, it may have been based on Puppy originally, but it truly is a distro in its own right now.....and many 'Puppians' don't fully understand it any more, since jamesbond and Kirk have literally re-written every single bit of it from the ground up. I wouldn't be able to help, in any case; I've never used it.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 30 September 2016 - 04:28 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#4 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2016 - 07:36 PM

Thanks, I'll chimp on over to that forum.

#5 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 05:58 AM

Hi again, Petar.

Meant to say in the last post; you'll want the 'Puppy Projects' sub-forum, in the 'Advanced Topics' section. There's at least two major, dedicated threads for the most recent FatDog releases.....very large threads, I might add!

Hope that helps.

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#6 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 07:00 AM

I posted there, but I should probably shut my machine down and take a look at what sort of wireless I have.  I don't remember on this machine - it was once a Windows 10

machine that never booted properly.  I'll shut it down and pull it out today.  It's hard to reach the back of it.

#7 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 08:16 AM

Hi again,Petar.

There's a possibility it could be a Broadcom card. These have always been an absolute PITA to get working in Linux; it's do-able, but it takes a lot of faffing around to do it usually.

By all means, do let us know what the card is, please. General machine specs would be useful, too.

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 01 October 2016 - 08:16 AM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,485 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 08:18 AM

Just look at your System Specs, sorry I don't know how to do it in Puppy.  If you still need help just ask and I'll boot up Fatdog.  The only one I have ATM is 700 but should be similar to the newest. 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#9 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:37 AM

I just pulled the dongle off, it's a tiny little usb thing.  I tried another usb port, but it never found it.  Then I even had

trouble getting i to find it on the original port.  Now it finds it but no connection, but I'l;l probably get it to do the usual with some fooolign.  But hen Ill try to get the make/model 

#10 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:39 AM

ill look for nsystem specs ive no idea what folder or gui ill try though

#11 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:43 AM

might be an airlink 101?

#12 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:45 AM

its white plastic has installation cd i cant get coonnection
i tried restart

Edited by PetarSickey, 01 October 2016 - 09:46 AM.

#13 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:55 AM

ill try one more reboot now that ivesaved stuff all i can try, then cd

#14 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:59 AM

ok system information its a realtek semi corp rtl8188CUS 802.11n WLAN Adapter, USB 2.0, 500mA, 255 vendor specific ... so do we put a cdin now and install or findsme driver? does fatdog have drivers?

Edited by PetarSickey, 01 October 2016 - 10:03 AM.

#15 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 10:12 AM

i just keep staring at the ip address static textfield wishing something dynamic would happen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users