Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backing Up Files

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 grilledcheese

grilledcheese

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 20 August 2006 - 08:32 PM

Hi guys,

I have to send my laptop into the manafacturer for repairs and I was advised to backup as many programs/software/files etc as possible by the customer service rep. Can someone let me know the best way to do this and what to back up? I may possibly need some instructions as well. Thanks very much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 20 August 2006 - 10:04 PM

Do you have a CD burner? You can easily back up files there, especially if you have software to do so. Most computers come with something like Sonic or Nero and you need to back up any data that you do not want to use. This includes things like word processor files, pictures, bookmarks, address books, music, emails, and anything else you do not want to lose.

Although others use fancy backup programs, I simply copy the files to a CD. Of course, I keep my PC organized so that I know where everything is. Most people put things in My Documents and its subfolders, and that's a good place to start.

But how you do it depends entirely on what you're using.

For bookmarks, you would export your bookmarks from Internet Explorer, if that's what you're using. Export them to My Documents. If you're using Firefox, you'd start by clicking on "bookmarks," then click "manage bookmarks." Then go to "File" and "Export."

You may have to practice this. We can give you better information if we know what programs you've got and what you're using. For instance: Internet Explorer or Firefox or Netscape or something else? Outlook Express or Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird or Eudora or something else? Nero or Sonic or something else? . . . and so on.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 12:50 AM

In addition to backing up files, I would also recommend deleting any sensitive files you might have on your hard drive.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:44 AM

Depending on the size of the total amount of files you want to backup you might look at a usb Flash drive which come in various sizes or a usb external hard drive.

Using either of those you can just use the Windows Backup utility that comes in Windows XP.
(accessed in start/programs/accessories/system tools/backup)

You don't backup "programs" as such, but you do backup data you generated using programs.

If you get an external, dual purpose hard drive, many come with imaging or other backup software that will take an image of your entire system so it can be exactly restored including programs should there be a problem. Some can also be set to do incremental backups automatically at times determined by you in their settings..

Another good backup method is that if you have two computers such as one laptop and one desktop you can sync them on a regular basis so all data will exist on both.

Edited by Enthusiast, 21 August 2006 - 08:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users