Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer is being very slow/freezing, even after a clean install.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JourneyOver

JourneyOver

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:11 PM

So I usually don't do this, coming to ask for troubleshooting help because I can usually get these things figured out on my own, but the issue I'm having has me confused on what exactly is causing it.. Really hope someone can help me out with this :/

Computer Info -- 

OS - Windows 10 x64 Pro  - Anniversary Update

Ram - 8 GIGS

GPU - Nvidia Geforce GTX 760

CPU - AMD 6350 6-core processor

Storage -- 1 SSD (120gigs) <-- OS is here

2 Hard Drives (1TB each) <--- Shows/movies and games are located on these

So for a backdrop/backstory (whatever you wanna call it) -- 

About a week ago my computer started acting a bit slow (mainly after a gaming session) not too bad though only a bit of lag and a short freeze here and there, and it would settle itself out quickly.and be back on track. now fast forward to yesterday (the 28th) my computer had been getting pretty bad leading up to this point on the lag/being slow bit and it would take even longer sometimes to sort itself out, but it was still manageable so it didn't bother me to much because it only happened after I got done gaming.. Anyways my friend wanted me to come over to his house to play some games (I'd be bringing my PC because he currently doesn't have one anymore) so I went to download some games off steam that we could play, next thing I know my computer blue screens ( I can't remember the exact BSOD error it gave me anymore :x ) so I restart my computer and things are really bad, computer is lagging and freezing all over the place after logging in, so I restart my computer again in hopes that it would resolve it, but sadly it didn't completely, it was still lagging and freezing up but I was able to at least get a message to my friend and tell him I'm calling off on coming over so I could do computer maintenance and see if I could figure out what is going on with my computer, he ends up offering up some ram sticks from his old computer and I told him I'd take them and maybe it would help (it didn't though).

He comes over and drops off the ram sticks (2 4gigs) so after fiddling with my computer doing small troubleshooting things (Disk Cleanup/CCleaner/updating programs & Drivers/chkdsk/sfc scan and can't remember what else) nothing seemed to be helping at all. So I end up shutting down my computer and plopping in his ram sticks but they don't seem to work out being both plugged into the motherboard together with my other ram sticks (computer would boot and then promptly shut itself off after a few seconds) so I take one out and keep one in and my system boots, but something strange happened, my computer is only showing 4 gigs of ram available to use while the other 8gigs I had previously are system reserved. No matter what I did be it changing the memory frequency or moving sticks around, it would always show 4 gigs available while 8 gigs are reserved. During this whole thing my computer was freezing like mad whenever I booted onto the desktop, I could barely do anything so I took out the extra ram stick and just left my 2 in and put the memory frequency back to where it was at before (auto) and it came back showing the full 8gigs available to be used, but my computer was still acting very very laggy and was still freezing a lot.

Lead up to this morning (the 29th), I decide to do a clean boot, grabbed a USB and threw a windows 10 anniversary ISO on it and went to town after backing up some things, after everything got done and I get booted onto the desktop for the first time things seem to be alright but then as soon as I open up file explorer or anything my computer starts freezing again, so I think maybe something messed up during the clean boot so I go and redo it all over again and get back to the desktop and it still continues to freeze in short bursts (sometimes it would be frozen for up to a minute or two before unfreezing) but I say whatever I go about installing my programs back (Which I have been running for years and haven't had a single problem leading up to all this), restoring config files for programs and all that, all the while my computer freezing and lagging up during the whole thing and well here we are now..

My computer is still being slow/laggy and freezing every few minutes and I am out of idea's on what could be the problem, I don't know if its a hardware issue (I honestly hope not since I'm broke and have no job so no way to fix a hardware issue right now) or if it's something else entirely.. if anyone can help me out with this, I would be very grateful and sorry for the long post, just thought it would be a good idea to post everything leading up to now..

P.S -- Freezing would commence like so -- whatever I had on top window would stop responding completely, and then everything else would stop responding, leading up to my mouse freezing as well. (if I had music playing, it would continue to play until the song was over and then it would stop responding completely as well) It would stay like this for a minute or two and then everything would start responding again until the next freeze which is usually happening anywhere between 3-15 minutes each other..

P.S.S -- If there is any more info that you need let me know and I'll get back to you that info ASAP.

P.S.S.S -- Another thing I forgot to mention above, for some odd reason after my clean install my internet connection seems to cut out a ton (making web pages and other things that require the internet to take a very long time to load sometimes), which was not happening before the clean install..

Edited by JourneyOver, 29 September 2016 - 09:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JourneyOver

JourneyOver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 04:20 AM

This post can be deleted, I finally fixed the issue myself... Lot of help this community is.. not even a single response -.-

Edited by JourneyOver, 02 October 2016 - 04:24 AM.

#3 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 04:36 AM

Hello JourneyOver, and sorry that you did not get instant help !!

Windows 10 is a new Operating System and not many free private people, who have a full time job and family, know how to fix the problems or always have the time.

You seem to leave very upset, but we always like it if you tell us how the problem was solved.

Thank You ..

EDIT -

Posted 30 September 2016  was only a day or so back, not a month or so ??

Edited by Jaycan, 02 October 2016 - 04:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users