Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loud laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:28 PM

So right now I'm using a 2012 Sony VAIO laptop. My main desktop computer's CPU heatsink pins broke so I'm waiting for the new heatsink to come.. but that's beside the point of this thread.

This laptop I'm using has a very loud fan that spins faster and slower all the time, and it sounds like an airplane taking off. It can happen randomly, but it especially happens when I load a new webpage or start watching a YouTube video. I have ran Disk Defragmenter and the main disk is only 3% fragmented. I also checked it for dust and there appeared to be none inside.

The specs are:

Windows 10 Home Premium (Ubuntu 14.04 is dual booted with Windows, and Ubuntu seems to run a bit better, and not make the fan spin as much.)

Intel Core i5-2450M

4 GB RAM

Intel HD Graphics 3000 (there's an old Radeon card in there but it's not used anymore)

Any ways I can reduce the noise?

Not sure if this would affect anything, but my 1080p monitor is hooked up to it so I can use the laptop just as I would my desktop. It's set to duplicate the two screens, not extend.

Edited by gigawert, 29 September 2016 - 08:34 PM.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 vcolev

vcolev

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2016 - 12:44 PM

Sounds like  the fan is starting to go bad, or a component, (most likely to CPU) is starting to get too hot and the fan is working hard to try and keep up with it at the times it needs.

#3 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 01 October 2016 - 10:57 AM

Hey gigawert! Since typically there aren't replacement fans for these sorts of things, I would replace the thermal paste and make sure the heatsink is firmly mounted. You could also get a cooling table if that would be easier.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#4 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 02:34 PM

Haha so I got a can of compressed air and simply sprayed it into some other panels i forgot to open as well as into the air vents on the sides. A lot of dust came out, and the temperature is down 20 degrees celsius from what it was before at idle. (Idle temps are around 40-60 degrees for the CPU)

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users