Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Game FPS poor but GPU utilization not at 100%.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 corrado33

corrado33

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 29 September 2016 - 01:20 PM

I recently built up about a $1000 gaming pc with an EVGA Geforce 1060 6GB. It runs any of the modern games I've thrown at it with ease. (Probably because I'm running it on an ancient 1680x1050 60 FPS monitor) If I turn Vsync off, it'll run Bioshock infinite at 200+ FPS with ultra settings. (Unless Elizabeth (your partner throughout the game) is in the scene, then it's down to 120-150 FPS or so.) Anyway, I recently started playing Crysis 3. I know the crysis games are hard to run, but I didn't expect this. I get frame drops down to 30 FPS when on ultra settings, but the weird thing is that the GPU utilization hovers around 70%, whereas in Bioshock infinite it's pinned at 100% when Vsync is off. 

Why would the game not be utilizing the entire GPU power if it can't produce enough frames? The computer isn't hot... afterburner tells me the graphics card temp is 64 °C and the CPU is ~45-50 °C. I have a few thermistors in the mail so I can program the fans based on the graphics card's temp.

Is this an indication of poor game programming?

My secondary question is this. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but my graphics card doesn't really heat up, even under 100% load. Watching other people benchmark cards and coolers online, temps in the upper 70s and even 80s °C are normal, where I've never seen mine above 64 °C even when running it pinned at 100% for a few hours. Is that normal? It's certainly not bad, I'm just wondering why my card doesn't heat up? I mean sure, I built the computer to run cool (Full tower, 3x 140mm case fan, 2x 120 mm fans + power supply and GPU and CPU fans and programmed the GPU fan to turn on earlier and faster than stock), but I didn't imagine it'd run THIS cool with so little tweaking. 

EDIT: Apparently this card runs cool stock, people over at guru3d tested a few other 1060s and they all ran at about 69 °C at 100% load. So... overclocking?!?!

Edited by corrado33, 29 September 2016 - 01:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:42 PM

To answer your first question, that game may be capped at 30 fps. Some companies do that with their games. It's one thing to get 30 fps on a game and your GPU utilization is 100%. But if it's at 70%, it's definitely a FPS cap set by the developers.

And your second question, it's perfectly fine. 

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 corrado33

corrado33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 30 September 2016 - 09:16 AM

To answer your first question, that game may be capped at 30 fps. Some companies do that with their games. It's one thing to get 30 fps on a game and your GPU utilization is 100%. But if it's at 70%, it's definitely a FPS cap set by the developers.

And your second question, it's perfectly fine. 

Thanks, the game isn't capped. It doesn't always run at 30 fps, it's often up at 60 fps. It's just sometimes it'll drop to AROUND 30 (aka more like 34ish) yet the GPU isn't maxed out. That's the question. 

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 01 October 2016 - 10:58 AM

Seems like poor optimization for your card, or something else handicapping it. Check your cpu usage while playing the game, and reinstall the drivers for that card.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users