Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox or Chrome?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kooky500

kooky500

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:34 AM

Someone asked me the other day, if Firefox was more secure than Google Chrome, and I honestly didn't know. So, I thought I'd ask you all about it. Is Firefox more secure than Google Chrome or are they about the same? I'd love to hear some thoughts on this, as I'm considering switching to Firefox for this reason. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:57 AM

Oh wow, better stand back! The flack is going to fly! :lol:  That question will get a lot of responses from dedicated users.

Ok, I will start off. I have been using FireFox for years, so to be honest I am not that well acquainted with Chrome. I used it for a while but was not impressed and could not customize it as I wanted so I switched to FF and never looked back.

Firefox big attraction is its use of Add-ons. There are literally dozens to choose from, are free, and you can customize FF depending on what you want. So it can be locked down quite well for privacy and security. I won't go into all the different security features that it has, but in general add-ons can prevent virus infections through Java and Active X (which is a major source of infected websites and "drive-by" virus intrusions), tracking cookies that track you wherever you go and can be traced by businesses for marketing purposes, the infamous NID and PREF cookies that are on most computers (without the user's knowledge) that Google uses to track you individually and that the NSA uses for the same purpose including hacking in to a computer that has them, as well as useful tools.

It is easy to learn, takes minimal resources, and is supported by Mozilla organization which is not a big business that wants to throw ads at you but a dedicated organization of geeks.

I have put FF on  dozens of client's computers, installed security add-ons and they love it. In a nutshell those are my reasons, and in 15 years of using FF and no virus infections I still have the same opinion.

Edited by ranchhand_, 29 September 2016 - 12:01 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:08 PM

I use IE, Edge, FF and Chrome (for different purposes).

Chrome sandboxes each tab in a separate, restricted process. FF does not.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:28 PM

...Chrome sandboxes each tab in a separate, restricted process.

Tell me more!  How does this happen?  I'd like to learn more about this.  Although I have used FF for years, because the school systems have switched to bigTime Google Chrome, I have switched awhile back to be able to "mesh" with the schools.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#5 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:34 PM

Here is more info:

https://www.chromium.org/developers/design-documents/sandbox/Sandbox-FAQ

https://www.chromium.org/developers/design-documents/sandbox

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:35 PM

IMO...I would be surprised if anyone determines that Chrome is "more secure" (whatever that might mean).  I get the feeling, from reviewing data submissions from members seeking assistance in the Windows and Hardware forums...that Chrome uses miore resources and installs items without the user being aware.  I could be wrong but those are my impressions.  I also use IE with no regrets.

I tried both Chrome and Firefox before I settled on Firefox...I did not like Chrome at all, I never felt that I could be sure of what it was doing in terms of add-ons and browsing activity.

I think that browser choice is like much of computing...the differences between "this" and "that" are more likely to significant in the head of the beholder...as opposed to truly being significant enough to make A "better" than B or C as a choice.

Louis

In restrospect...since the users are the biggest security holes...and websites have more control over how "secure" each visit by anyone might be...I think that you may be overestimating the value of a "secure browser".

Another Set Of Opinions

Edited by hamluis, 29 September 2016 - 12:50 PM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 30 September 2016 - 10:16 AM

It as been proven time and again that the user is a more substantial factor (weakest link) in security than the architecture of the operating system or installed protection software.

Security is all about layers, and not depending on any one technology or approach to detect or save you from the latest threats. The most important layer in that security defense? You! Most threats succeed because they take advantage of human weaknesses (laziness, apathy, ignorance, etc.), and less because of their sophistication.

Krebs on Security

No amount of security software is going to defend against today's sophisticated malware writers for those who do not practice safe computing and stay informed.
The end user needs to constantly educate themselves about the latest malware threats and those recommendations by security experts on how to protect themselves. If they are an employee of an organization, that also means following policy and procedures for the use of computer equipment and related resources implemented by the agency IT Department. Knowledge and the ability to use it is the best defensive tool anyone can have.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users