Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

update hp 3840 series (3847) printer to run on Win 7 Pro

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SAILOR0316

SAILOR0316

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 29 September 2016 - 10:48 AM

Staff:

Installation disk for older 3847 hp printer says good for up to Win XP.  Presently using Win 7 PRO.  Think previously downloaded an updated driver, but can't find where I saved it.  Now when trying to print, OS sys there is no printer so assume I have to find an updated driver again.  But so many websites seem to want to have you download a loader that seems to want to sell a bunch of software.  Systems like CNET, BrotherSoft, Softonic, Tucows all appear to try to get you to use their installer.  So can BleepingComputer suggest or recommend a website where I can get an updated hp driver without picking up a whole bunch of junk?

Thanks in advance

SAILOR0316

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:17 AM

HP does not have a Windows 7 driver for that printer but it is available from within Windows 7 itself. See this support page. 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Deskjet-3840-Printer-series/372329/model/428865/document/c01796879/

#3 SAILOR0316

SAILOR0316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 07:23 PM

Thanks JohnC_21

Did go to the Support page and found that I already had the driver and not sure if that was the problem.  But I did follow the instructions, not sure what did the trick, but the printer did show on the devices list and I could select it and somehow it showed as a green check mark and ready.  But the light on the printer was still blinking!!  tried shutting it off then on, no help.  Then tried disconnecting the power cable, reconnected it, still blinking.  Although no note, took it apart and checked for paper jam.  No help, still blinking.

Then remembered a problem I had earlier with print cartridges (HP cartridges).  Have heard that HP somehow has a chip in the cartridge or some way to make the printer think the cartridge is empty or faulty so you have to buy a new HP cartridge.  Well, I have found I can get the cartridges refilled by "Cartridge World" in Houston, don't know if they are everywhere.  But took the black cartridge out and voila, the blinking stopped.  So you may think a faulty or empty cartridge, but had gotten a replacement a month ago and it worked over that month until the printer stopped dead in the middle of printing the last page.  So, P.O.'d made a trip back to Cartridge World to ask them to check the cartridge and the guy went to the back to check, but even before he checked, said felt, weight-wise, the cartridge was still much full.  He said HP does this all the time, changing something so to them, it is a cat and mouse game where HP makes some change and blooey.  Guess it's their way of trying to capture more of the cartridge market.  But they exchanged the cartridge and I put it back into the printer and wonderfully, the blinking light stopped and came to steady green ready light.  Ran a couple of test pages and now everything fine again.

So thanks for your direction and help and to anyone else with anything close to this kind of a problem, suspect HP cartridges and their policy.  I just know that I will try anyone else's printer next time.  HP has shot itself in the foot for the last time for me.

But thanks for your time and to BleepingComputer for having the format / forum to ask these kind of questions;  and that's also why I donated to their cause to defend themselves again the post they have posted.

SAILOR0316

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 07:40 PM

I'm not sure it's your case but HP came out with a firmware update that rendered compatible non-HP cartridges unable to print.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/hardware/hp-accused-of-sabotaging-non-hp-ink-cartridges/

#5 SAILOR0316

SAILOR0316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:10 PM

Thanks again, JohnC_21 for your time and the link.  The article makes HP sound quite unapologetic for their efforts to squash the printer cartridge market

In that case, JohnC_21, or anyone else reviewing the topic, which printers would anyone recommend or suggest to get away from this HP monster?  Epson, Canon, Brother or others

Thanks to all for any suggestions and / or comments.

SAILOR0316

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:22 PM

I personally prefer canon printers because they are good at updating their drivers. I can't say all their printers allow one to refill but the cheap ip2700 allows me to refill the cartridge without a problem. Just a matter of holding down a button before using the refilled cartridge. The downside is I don't get the normal ink measurement box to tell me how much ink I have left in the cartridge.

#7 SAILOR0316

SAILOR0316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:50 PM

JohnC_21:       Thanks for your recommendation

Edited by SAILOR0316, 29 September 2016 - 09:50 PM.

#8 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 30 September 2016 - 12:39 AM

We should have done a better job of communicating about the authentication procedure to customers, and we apologize. Although only a small number of customers have been affected, one customer who has a poor experience is one too many.

It is important to understand that all third party cartridges with original HP security chips continue to function properly.

As a remedy for the small number of affected customers, we will issue an optional firmware update that will remove the dynamic security feature. We expect the update to be ready within two weeks and will post additional information here as it becomes available.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/hp-news/blog/Small-Business-Printing/best-possible-printing-experience.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users