Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Disc Partitioning

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 josh_g

josh_g

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 20 August 2006 - 07:18 PM

hi. I was wondering if any body could tell me about hard disc partitioning. I would like to know whether you could create a new partition on a hard disc, if you had deleted all previous partitions, and if you could, then how? I have gone to re-install windows xp on my computer, and it gives the option of installing on a partion already there, and it gives the option of deleting a partion too. So i was wondering if it would be ok to delete that partition so that there are no other partitions on the hard disc either, and then to create a new partition, and if you can then how? I would like to know all about what I'm asking so please help. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 20 August 2006 - 10:14 PM

Well, here's a place to start. Keep in mind that if you have a computer with a special partition used for re-installing Windows, you may run into problems if you delete it. Some companies, like HP, use a small partition to house the operating system. So you need to know how large the partition is that you're given the option to delete. If you only have a single partition that fills the entire drive, and it's the C: partition, then you can delete it and recreate it if you wish. You can also choose to not use all of the drive when you make the partition and use the remaining space for a second partition if you wish. This is handy for keeping data on, while your operating system and programs reside on the primary partition. But in my considerable reading, I find that XP actually works faster with a single partition. Although I used to use separate partitions in Windows 98, I use only a single partition in XP. However, if you have a very large drive, it might be better to make separate partitions because it takes a lot longer to defrag and scandisk a single large drive - you can do a partition at a time and not take so long, and maybe alternate separate days for maintenance. But for something like an 80-gig drive, I'd just make one partition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users