So my computer monitor died yesterday and I headed out to Best Buy and purchased a new one, I knew this would be a problem. So here's the issue:
I have 2 computers that run side by side, one houses internet and mail (etc) the other houses my industry specific software (which requires Windows 98 to run it) and I don't have that one hooked up to the internet because I don't want viruses and such....so I toggle between the two.
- I went to install the monitor driver on my old system because it kept prompting me that I needed resolution adjusted to 1920 x 1080.
- Went to settings and that was not an option on my display
- Inserted CD to install monitor driver on Windows 98, hoping that would correct it, it's saying that I am missing the newdev.dll
- Did some research and it is not in my recycle bin, that computer does not have internet access, BUT I do have the original Windows 98 disk
- I can not get access to the internet as when I plug in the device it tells me I need to install the drive, insert disc, and still I return to the original issue of no dll, circles and circles
So how do I repair this issue from the disc without it affecting my industry specific software? That is my MAJOR concern. I am unfamiliar with doing any restores or repairs from that disc and it makes me VERY NERVOUS to think it would cause a problem with my legal software.
Right now I can see from the monitor I just need the adjustments to be clearer and scaled down so that I can view the margins of documents in my software, right now I can't do that....was hoping the monitor driver would make that correction.
Thoughts? Please keep in mind I can write a mean transcript but I am not techie at all! God bless!