Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newdev.dll missing on Windows 98, no internet access

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ladykc

Ladykc

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:33 AM

So my computer monitor died yesterday and I headed out to Best Buy and purchased a new one, I knew this would be a problem.  So here's the issue:

I have 2 computers that run side by side, one houses internet and mail (etc) the other houses my industry specific software (which requires Windows 98 to run it) and I don't have that one hooked up to the internet because I don't want viruses and such....so I toggle between the two.  

• I went to install the monitor driver on my old system because it kept prompting me that I needed resolution adjusted to 1920 x 1080.  
  • Went to settings and that was not an option on my display
  • Inserted CD to install monitor driver on Windows 98, hoping that would correct it, it's saying that I am missing the newdev.dll
  • Did some research and it is not in my recycle bin, that computer does not have internet access, BUT I do have the original Windows 98 disk
  • I can not get access to the internet as when I plug in the device it tells me I need to install the drive, insert disc, and still I return to the original issue of no dll, circles and circles

So how do I repair this issue from the disc without it affecting my industry specific software?  That is my MAJOR concern.  I am unfamiliar with doing any restores or repairs from that disc and it makes me VERY NERVOUS to think it would cause a problem with my legal software.

Right now I can see from the monitor I just need the adjustments to be clearer and scaled down so that I can view the margins of documents in my software, right now I can't do that....was hoping the monitor driver would make that correction.

Thoughts?  Please keep in mind I can write a mean transcript but I am not techie at all!  God bless!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 29 September 2016 - 10:07 AM

I doubt Newdev.dll is part of the Windows 98 OS. I think that file is included in XP and above. I will have to boot my old Windows 98SE computer and check.

The device that controls the monitor resolution is the video adapter of the computer and for a Windows 98 computer I doubt the adapter would even support the resolution of 1920 X 1080.

Can you set the resolution of the new monitor to something lower? You also need to set the refresh rate to 60Hz if the original monitor was an old CRT model as that would have a higher refresh rate.

Does the install CD of the monitor list is as supporting Windows 98? What is the make and model of the monitor? Most have an auto adjust setting in the menu section.

Edit: I can confirm newdev.dll is not a file on the Windows 98 OS. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 September 2016 - 10:32 AM.

#3 Ladykc

Ladykc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:45 AM

Thanks for the reply.

The monitor is a LG IPS LED, 24MP58.  I'm not sure if it's compatible or not.

When I get home I will adjust the resolution to something lower.  How do I adjust the refresh rate?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:58 AM

See this pdf

http://www.evga.com/support/guides/9X_Refresh.pdf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users