Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC random shut down/crash during gameplay

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Joshua_Ad

Joshua_Ad

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:05 AM

Hi there,

Sorry its my first time on a forum website, normally i troubleshoot all of my issues myself but so far nothing has helped to sort this issue and it has been going on now for approx 7-8 months.

Ok where to begin, basically the issue is revolved around gaming but i have had it every now and then during casual browsing on the internet,

Basically I used to play league of legends and have started to play world of warcraft again, now the issue is while in gameplay the computer would just shut down, other times it would crash and have multiple lines going accross the screen but recently now it has just been pure shutoffs, They dont appear to happen after a specific time, sometimes the pc is fine for 1 hour and then crashes, other times its good for 6 hours, and others 5 minutes and BAM crashed.

I have tried to clean install the OS to no result, i have uninstalled and reinstalled the device drivers, i have checked the temperatures during the issues, cpu peaks at about 75, mobo at approx 32, nothing is overclocked on the system, i have used event viewer but to no avail of the issue, only one which was a disabled windows service which has since been re-enabled. *edit* just to quickly add, i have also tried replacing the ram into 2 different slots (i have 2*4gb) to see if they were the issue and cleaned out the tower etc using compressed air.

Is there any chance you would be able to help me? I am running Windows 10, apologies if i have omitted important information, as i said this is my first time doing something like this.

Many thanks,

Joshua_Ad

Edited by Joshua_Ad, 29 September 2016 - 09:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:06 AM

Start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Start with the  video tests (as I suspect a video problem), but please complete all of them and let us know the results when you're done.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Joshua_Ad

Joshua_Ad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 02:52 PM

Hi, 

Thanks for the response; 

I have been in the process of trying to do the memory diagnosis, but i have converted 2 different USBs to ISO to boot the pc from and each time it would boot straight to the HDD, and when i have disabled and unplugged the HDD the USBs just wouldnt boot, instead i would get a black screen with a flashing white _ at the top left of the screen saying that there is nothing to boot from, I have also written the CD version to a disk to boot in the same way but the exact same thing happened (I know the PC can boot through a USB however considering just yesterday i did a clean install on the pc using a USB) So i have not been able to run the Memtests, 

Any advice in regards to this or an alternative? i have tried different usb ports, different files (which were recommended here ofc) and different CDs and none of them booted :/

Many thanks

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2016 - 11:31 AM

The MemTest86 (NOT the MemTest86+) is UEFI compatible (this sounds like the problem that you're having).

Have you used that bootable version?  Here's the link:  http://www.memtest86.com/

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Joshua_Ad

Joshua_Ad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 08:55 AM

Hi there,

Ok as far as the memtest goes, it says it passed 4 times with 0 errors (does it not make a file at the end saved to the usb showing the results? as nothing was saved afterwards, it just showed on the program Pass: 4 - Error: 0, I did run Prime95 aswell which say all passes, nothing has come back saying any issues for errors. running Furmark as we speak and will post results later today once i have received them - another question with furmark, do i run this until the test is finished? or until it hits 100 degrees? or stop the moment it hits 90, sorry the instructions wernt too clear when reading so im unsure when to stop the test.

Thanks

Edited by Joshua_Ad, 01 October 2016 - 09:09 AM.

#6 Joshua_Ad

Joshua_Ad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:47 AM

Ok so here it gets confusing, I ran Furmark but it didnt stop after 60000ms, i felt it to run for a little over 80000frames to make sure it gad a decent amount, i have a photo here :  http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/Joshua_Adshead/media/furmark_zpszllc6tub.png.html

which has a screenshot of the test and the temperature which went over 90 after the first 10000 frames or so but then stayed stable with no odd changes to the video. Sadly it doesnt look at clear as i had hoped. any other advice next?

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 11:13 AM

The instructions are a bit vague because we don't know what's going to happen when you run the tests.

The temps are a bit high - I'd check your cooling solution(s) and make sure that the CPU and GPU are getting enough cooling.

- coolers are free of dirt/dust/hairballs/etc

- cooler is firmly attached to CPU/GPU - and has adequate thermal compound between them (without having too much)

- fan is working

- system isn't blowing hot air into the coolers

- systems have all the necessary power connectors connected and supplying power.

#8 Joshua_Ad

Joshua_Ad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 04:45 AM

Hey again,

I have checked and double cleaned all of the coolers of the pc, fans, gpu, cpu, heatsink etc, made sure that everything is attached properly, all of the fans in the system are working and blowing the hot air OUT and all items have power connectors connected securely and are being supplied with power, would it help if i made sure to lower all graphics etc and to manually set fans on a high temp at all times possibly?

Edited by Joshua_Ad, 02 October 2016 - 04:47 AM.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 12:05 PM

Have you finished the diagnostics?  If so, what were the results?

If you've finished them, then we wait and see if the system still shutsdown/crashes during gameplay.

#10 Joshua_Ad

Joshua_Ad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 02:25 AM

Hey again, I have used HDTune to check the HDD, both of them passed without any errors in the files found, I have just done AMD Overdrive to check the CPU, performance came back at 6467, so highlight i have done the CPU test, Prime95, (No errors detected), Furmark which results i have shown, Memtest which came back with no errors and i have cleaned out the fans etc. However the PC still crashed during gameplay last night :/

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 07:29 AM

Wait until the next crash, then recover and immediately generate these 2 sets of reports:

Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

Report Set #1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Report Set #2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:
You may not need to log temps - if uncertain, please ask.

To make it work (log the temps to a file) you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

#12 Joshua_Ad

Joshua_Ad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:44 AM

Hey, sorry the the MAJOR long reply. originally the issue was resolved for a bit so i thought everything was sorted, but its come back with a vengeance! So i have attached the 2 files you asked for in the previous post and hope it helps!

Attached Files

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:00 AM

The Admin logfile doesn't seem to show anything related to the period just before the system was forced to reboot (the Critical errors - Event ID 41)

Most often this is the case when there's a hardware problem.

Have you rechecked the temps?  It appears that the CPU gets somewhat hot (up to 74ºC) and the GPU gets up to 94ºC (I can barely make out the data on the screenshot).

If you have rechecked it, what did the temps get up to?

From the SysnativeFileCollectionApp:

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 1503) dates from 2012.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and that outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

You have a Realtek RTL8192CU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter:

I do not recommend using wireless USB network devices.
These wireless USB devices have many issues with Win7 and later systems - using older drivers with them is almost certain to cause a BSOD.
Should you want to keep using these devices, be sure to have the latest W7/8/8.1/10 drivers - DO NOT use older drivers!!!
An installable wireless PCI/PCIe card that's plugged into your motherboard is much more robust, reliable, and powerful.

This device is disabled in Device Manager:

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller    PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_85051043&REV_09\4&1708FA51&0&0050    This device is disabled.

Did you deliberately disable it?  If so, why did you disable it?

Please re-enable it and then update it's drivers.  Feel free to disable it again if it's not needed AFTER updating the drivers.

Many more Live Kernel Events (~72) than BSOD's (8) in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report.

This is usually the sign of a hardware problem also (although it could also be due to compatibility issues or a low-level driver problem).

I'd suggest trying the Seagate Seatools program (long/extended test) on both of your hard drives (no need if they're SSD's).
I'm not fully confident of the HDTune program's ability to detect errors.

You may want to try resetting the graphics to default values and manually setting the fans on high for now.
See if that stops (or delays) the shutdowns.

You can also try pointing a house fan (on high) into the case to see if that lessens the shutdowns.

Finally, please remove the AMD Overdrive application.  While it is a good test, there have been problems with it in the past.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users