Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GPU Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DimitrisMel

DimitrisMel

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 29 September 2016 - 06:27 AM

Hello everyone,

I recently upgraded my PC by changing the Motherboard, CPU and RAM. My GPU is next and I was wondering what a balanced choice would be.

After the upgrade my specs are:

Motherboard: H110M PRO-VD

CPU: Intel i3-6100 @ 3.7Ghz

Ram: Single 8GB DDR4 @ 2133Mhz

PSU: Thermaltake TR2-470 which gives 470 Watts of power

Storage: OCZ Vortex2 SSD 120GB + WD Caviar 1TB @ 7200 rpm 

Monitors: Dual LG 24" LED Monitors 1080p @ 60Hz

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5750

My question is obviously not which is the best graphics card money can buy, but what a good GPU would be for my system, because in my understanding right now it's the bottleneck of it. For the people asking what I want to do with it, my answer is some general gaming (which I won't play in the highest graphics with this PC, I know it) I just want to take advantage of the whole system, since my GPU is keeping me back. Also in your recommendations I'd like you to take under consideration if I have to change my PSU, so I can take it into account for the overall cost of the upgrade. I'd like to keep the one I have if possible. As for the price range I will not set one since I want to hear all the options.

Thank you in advance.

P.S. After the GPU upgrade, adding another 8GB of RAM and buying a bigger and faster PCI-E SSD are next when I have the money.

Edited by DimitrisMel, 29 September 2016 - 06:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 29 September 2016 - 07:33 AM

You are using a dual core processor, that may hold you back at the high end of graphics cards, for gaming, I'd suggest an i5.  That said, the i3 you have can handle many current games well.  A good GPU would be SAPPHIRE Radeon RX 470, or, if you would like something a little higher end, the XFX Radeon RS RX 480.  These two cards have a suggested PSU of 500W, your PSU is right on the line.  The GIGABYTE Radeon RX 460 requires a 320W.  If you need a new PSU, the CORSAIR CX series CX500 500W is inexpensive and highly rated for a 500W model.

3939.png

#3 DimitrisMel

DimitrisMel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:10 AM

Thank you for your answer. The more I think about it and talk with people, the more I lean towards changing my PSU. I'm thinking about the THERMALTAKE SPS-630MPCBEU or the MS-TECH MS-N920-VAL-CM which seem to be a powerful, modular and not that pricey solutions. Now as for the GPU I wonder if I will be able to tell the difference between an RX480 and an RX460 given the current system. I asked for a balanced solution in terms of my CPU or my SSD don't become the bottleneck of my system after the GPU upgrade. And I can save some money in the process ;)

Edited by DimitrisMel, 29 September 2016 - 10:53 AM.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 10:43 AM

The RX 460 is a significant downgrade from the 480.  You could always get the RX 480 and the SSD and see if the performance is acceptable.  If it is, no problem, but if there are problems, you can go for a new CPU.  Assuming this is your motherboard model, there are a number of good CPU's available to upgrade to.  I would go for an i5 6500 or 6600 out of that list.

3939.png

#5 DimitrisMel

DimitrisMel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2016 - 02:49 AM

The problem is I just changed my CPU and I was looking for a good cheap solution. I saw the benchmarks and decided the 6100 was a good value for money choice. So I don't intend to replace my CPU that fast. As I said in the original post I'm not looking to play the latest titles with every single filter on (that's what I believe I'd do if I went for the 6600 and the RX480) so I believe that something like the RX460 or the GTX1060 seems a little more suitable for my system. The whole point of the thread was to find a GPU that is balanced for this PC, not one that bottlenecks its CPU, so don't you think one of the RX460 / GTX1060 is good enough? Even though I will now definitely buy a new PSU, I really don't want a GPU that will push my PC's limits so much that I will feel like I have to replace my CPU and my SSD as well.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:51 AM

If you aren't aiming for having all the eye candy on, the RX 480.  The GTX 1060 is only slightly more powerful than the RX 480 and is almost twice as powerful as an RX 460.  I added in those CPU's as another potential future upgrade, there isn't any rush to replace that as many games are GPU bound.  None of the GPU's mentioned are at flagship GPU levels of performance, if you said you wanted a GTX 1080 or an R9 Fury, I'd absolutely recommend a CPU upgrade.  But, for now, the RX 480 or GTX 1060 should be enough.

3939.png

#7 DimitrisMel

DimitrisMel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:52 AM

Thank you very much for the information

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users