Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Anniversary Update

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Richardf77

Richardf77

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 29 September 2016 - 04:51 AM

Having some problems with this update.

Firstly i am not sure if the update is essential to have and if so should it be automatic, like all other updates or does it have to be manually added (ie an optional update)?. There is some confusion here as i know of a windows 10 user that apparently got the update automatically, but on my own machine i have had to ask for it to be downloaded and installed.

Second (and biggest) issue. It wont install anyway! I set it running and it downloads fine but when it tries to install it stops and i get a screen saying there are 'issues' and to retry later. I have done this 3 times and each time the same result. It also gives me the error code 0x800705b4, which i have googled without satisfactory result.

Third issue. The most recent install attempt came up with something different. I got a message about Digital Rights Management for certain WMP files, namely .wma and .wmv. Such files with WMDRM would not be playable once the new update was installed. The message screen gave me the option to cancel or continue anyway. I took the time to check for any affected files, could find none but by the time i had done so the update had failed again with the same error code as above

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/25975/windows-10-loss-music-video-anniversary-update

Need to find out whats causing the error that prevents installation and how to fix it.

The PC in question is a Packard Bell imedia S3810 64bit Windows 10 Home. I have Norton Security installed.

Edited by Richardf77, 29 September 2016 - 04:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 29 September 2016 - 05:07 AM

This update is new version of Windows 10 and with all new versions are for dealing with bugs and un-wanted features of previous versions of Windows , Microsoft add new features and patched all the bugs reported by users of previous version of Windows 10.

You can download to Windows 10 Anniversary Update from below link.

Before installing this update make sure to uninstall all third party antivirus and firewall programs.

Open the Command Prompt by simply holding down the BxVxp04.png + X keys and select the option “ Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu.

Type Sfc /Scannow command and press Enter key to repair any corrupted or missing Windows system files.

You should also check and repair hard disk drive errors by scheduling error checking at next reboot time by typing Chkdsk  C:  /r and press Enter key.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-history

Edited by FreeBooter, 29 September 2016 - 05:08 AM.

Posted Image

#3 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 06:56 AM

This update is new version of Windows 10 and with all new versions are for dealing with bugs and un-wanted features of previous versions of Windows , Microsoft add new features and patched all the bugs reported by users of previous version of Windows 10.

You can download to Windows 10 Anniversary Update from below link.

Before installing this update make sure to uninstall all third party antivirus and firewall programs.

Open the Command Prompt by simply holding down the BxVxp04.png + X keys and select the option “ Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu.

Type Sfc /Scannow command and press Enter key to repair any corrupted or missing Windows system files.

You should also check and repair hard disk drive errors by scheduling error checking at next reboot time by typing Chkdsk  C:  /r and press Enter key.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-history

Didnt need to uninstall and reinstall Norton when i upgraded from 7 to 10, so whats changed?

Thought it was just an update not a newer version. More like a service pack in earlier Windows then? So much for Microsoft saying 10 was the last new windows we will ever need! Oh look! here comes Windows 10.1 (then 10.2, 10.3 etc). Joke.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 29 September 2016 - 07:01 AM

Well you tell me in day lots thinks changes and happens how long has been pass since you have upgrade to Windows 10.

Posted Image

#5 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:17 AM

Sorry dont fully understand your message. However i upgraded in June and as i said before, i didnt have to uninstall then, cant understand why i need to now. As well as the time it would take to do, it would oobvoiusly make my system very vunerable while the update installs.

What confuses me the most is that a relation's laptop installed the update automatically, almost by accident. No 'Fixes' or uninstalls were required either, and yet installing it on my own PC is apparently so difficult/time consuming it hardly seems worth it.

Which leads me to ask again. Do i really need it? If i 'forgot' to install the update what might happen in the future? Would my system still get updated in other ways or would all other updates stop, leaving windows out of date and unreliable?

Anyone?

#6 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 29 September 2016 - 02:46 PM

Future updates will be based on the Anniversary Update, so the answer is you will need it sometime in the future, but you can get by for a while without it.  How long?  That depends on a lot of unknowns, but I'd say no later than when the next major update comes along in the spring of next year.  Whether you can delay it for up to 4 months depends on which version of Windows you have, and again, that's unknown to us at this point.

Who gets it when again depends on more unknowns, based on your configuration.  The answers you get are only as good as the info you provide.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#7 Richardf77

Richardf77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 03:55 PM

Tried the update by a different method. Had been going through Windows Update on the PC, which failed every time. Instead I tried a direct download of the update file (ISO file? Accessed through the information page on the Microsoft website). Seems to have worked fine. Install began automatically after download.

Only just done as I type this so haven't had the chance to try it all out yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users