For almost two weeks I am having these annoying audio pop-ups and I have tried several stuff but they always seem to come back.
The issue appears in some websites (ex. 9gag.com), where when the site starts to load, the original ads are loaded and then almost immediately they are covered up by other ads. After some time audio starts playing and pop-ups appear with messages like "congratulations, we want to make you a millionaire" or something similar.
Additionaly when in the main page I am scrolling and there is a .gif post it automatically redirects me to the post page.
I have been noticing these issues on my personal laptop, which runs on Windows 10, but also on my work laptop (runs Windows 7) only when connected to my home wireless network, to a much lesser extent.
Here is a summary of what I have tried so far.
- Fully scanned with McAfee
- Full system scan with Spybot Search & Destroy
- Checked Control panel for unwanted installed software: no unknown software found
- Reset all browsers (IE, Chrome, Firefox, Edge), deleted history, cookies, cache and website data
- Clean reset windows 10, deleting all user information
- run rkill,com
- Scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
- Scan with ADWcleaner
- Scan with Malwarebytes Junk removal tool
- Scan with Hitman Pro
- Scan with NPE Symantec
- Scan with SpyHunter - 2 issues found (identified as dialer trojans): registry keys, created by Spybot at domains/zonemaps that correspond to restricted website - Increased McAfee firewall security settings
- Took the laptop to the IT work department, they did several things (not sure exactly what though) but couldn't find any issues. Also during the time my laptop was connected to my company's wifi network, all these pop-ups and audio-ads did not appear.
All these scans (except the last one) either came up clean, or with minor issues which where fixed by the software.
Unfortunatelly I have no logs, as I reset Windows after and all files were deleted.
All these steps temporarily fix the issues but it keeps coming back after 1-2 days and it is driving me crazy.
Is there any advice on more things to try?
Any advise would be really appreciated!
Edited by hamluis, 29 September 2016 - 03:59 AM.
Moved from MRL to Am I Infected - Hamluis.