Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck at "Checking disk consistency" black screen

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 neocella

neocella

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:11 AM

Alright, so originally I had Windows 10 and during an update, my Gateway laptop crashed. After that it stopped booting up all the way and left me at a black screen. I then used Alt+F10 and tried to Factory Restore my computer and it Restored at 100% but then was stuck at 99% for the update. I looked online for a solution for this and many forums had said to just restart. I did this and now it's stuck on a black screen with a bunch of white text saying that it's checking the consistency of my disks and every time I let it hit 0, it pops up a bunch of new text and then restarts the process continuously. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 29 September 2016 - 04:05 AM

If Gateway includes a diagnostic package...I would run the diagnostic for the hard drive.

Are there any external drives attached?  If so, I would remove them.

Specific Gateway model, please?

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:04 PM

What happens if you try to boot into Safe Mode.

If you are not aware of how this is done have provided instructions for this.

With the computer shut down press the power button and immediately start tapping on the F8 key, continue till you see the Advanced Boot Options.  The screen will look similar to the image below.

abow7_zpsc072f26e.png

Use the up or down arrow on the keyboard to navigate to Safe Mode, press Enter to select it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 neocella

neocella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 10:33 PM

If Gateway includes a diagnostic package...I would run the diagnostic for the hard drive.

Are there any external drives attached?  If so, I would remove them.

Specific Gateway model, please?

Louis

No there are no external drives attached. The laptop is a Gateway pew91. As for the diagnostic package, I'm not sure

Edited by hamluis, 30 September 2016 - 08:08 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 30 September 2016 - 08:12 AM

System Specs

Louis

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2016 - 08:44 AM

Please do what I requested.

We need to know the exact messages you are seeing.  If you have a digital camera you could take a picture and post it as an attachment.

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

attachment_zps9v6amtri.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 neocella

neocella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 05:32 PM

Please do what I requested.

We need to know the exact messages you are seeing.  If you have a digital camera you could take a picture and post it as an attachment.

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

attachment_zps9v6amtri.png

#8 neocella

neocella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 05:34 PM

I managed to successfully reach the Advanced Boot Options page. From here I am still not sure what to do. It does look like the photo but I'm not sure what to do to get my computer up and running again.

#9 neocella

neocella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 05:42 PM

With the computer shut down press the power button and immediately start tapping on the F8 key, continue till you see the Advanced Boot Options.  The screen will look similar to the image below.

abow7_zpsc072f26e.png

Use the up or down arrow on the keyboard to navigate to Safe Mode, press Enter to select it.

#10 neocella

neocella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 05:47 PM

abow7_zpsc072f26e.png

I did what was told but it seems to not want to work. It just shows this screen:Attached File  20161005_154210.jpg   132.46KB   0 downloads
It completely stops doing anything. It stays at the disk.sys

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:02 AM

Please download SeaTool for DOS to your desktop.  This will make it easy to find the ISO file.

When the SeaTools for DOS website opens click on I Accept, then click on the Download button.

This download is a ISO image which you will need to burn to a CD or DVD in order to create a bootable disc which can be used to run the diagnostic tests.

To burn this ISO file to a CD or DVD use the instructions below.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close

I would like to determine the health of your HDD/SSD.  Please run the  SeaTools for DOS.  The instructions below will provide you with a download for the diagnostic scan and instructions to create a bootable disc.  You need to open the BIOS and change the boot order so that your optical drive is the first device in the order and your HDD/SSD is the second in order to boot from the diagnostic disc.

Once the disc is created load it in the CD/DVD drive and restart the computer.

If the disc is recognized you should receive a message instructing you to press any key to continue to boot from the disc.

Please note:  You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Please run the short test and include the results in your next post in this topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users