Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking to upgrade for 60fps on ultra

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Katiemw

Katiemw

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:39 PM

My computer can handle a decent amount right now, but I'm sitting at a solid 30fps most of the time with ultra graphics settings on most games. I'm looking for the minimum graphics card, cpu, ram, etc that would be needed for my computer to run all games on ultra with a smooth 60fps. I don't need more than that, 60 is great for me, I don't need such a high-end rig that its running 100+ fps.  My current specs:

Graphics card: AMD 270x

CPU: AMD FX-8350 8-core 4.0 GHz  (AM3+ socket)

RAM: 8 GB

Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3

I'd prefer AMD suggestions, even though I know Nvidia is better - I just don't want to go through the hassle of swapping to Nvidia, and I'm sure I can get 60 fps using AMD. I'm guessing my graphics card is the thing that needs to be upgraded the most - I'm considering the AMD 290x.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 29 September 2016 - 06:02 AM

What games are you playing?  Also, what resolution are you playing at?  Simpler, or older, games are a lot less hard on the graphics card.  Next year, AMD will be releasing their Zen CPU's and Vega GPU's, which should, hopefully, change the hardware landscape.

We have very similar systems, I have an FX-8350, but I am using GTX 980.  I am able to run most games around 60 FPS, even the new Deus Ex Mankind Divided with most settings on high or ultra.  The reason I chose the 980 was, at the time, the drivers.  AMD's drivers always caused me problems, but things may have changed since the 980's release.

If you must have a GPU right now, unless you are turning the eye candy as high as possible or running 4K, I would consider the SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 480 100406NT+8GL 8GB (A little more powerful, and newer, than a 290, but slightly less powerful than a 290x), SAPPHIRE NITRO Radeon R9 Fury (A bit more powerful than a GTX 980 or 290X), or EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC (Much more powerful than a 290X).  These cards assume you have a power supply capable of handling them.

3939.png

#3 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 30 September 2016 - 09:24 PM

a 270 series GPU is essentially what is bundled into APU CPUs these days, and is relatively 'low-end'(no offense intended), with commensurate (relatively low) performance.

I'd think you'd want to start your shopping at a GTX1060/RX460 budget area, assuming you are at (or desire) only 1080P res....

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users