Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

logs off as soon as I click user name

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jakkwb

jakkwb

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:40 PM

Hello all. Having this issue:

PC turns on. User login screen comes up. Two accounts, one is user, one is guest. If I click either one, it clears screen, automatically goes to logging off, and back to the user screen.

Safe mode in any mode does just black screen with movable cursor. No Ctrl-alt-del or anything else works.

No restore points available. Last known good does same thing (black screen).

Tried repair option from CD, naturally it does not find a problem.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jakkwb

jakkwb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:06 AM

Ok, I tried to reset permissions using repair console and the icacls command. It ran for a while, then gave me an error message. Didn't make a note of it, but can do it again if needed.

Now, when I click either the user or guest, it logs into a black screen with cursor. I can Ctrl-alt-del and get the menu, but when I click start task manager, I get a blank screen with moving cursor. I am also getting the message in the lower right saying windows is not genuine. (This is a Toshiba laptop with Vista preinstalled).

#3 Abzyx

Abzyx

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 04:42 PM

it logs into a black screen with cursor

What antivirus programs are installed? This is beginning to sound like an issue that afflicted Avast users who also had Microsoft Security Essentials installed after the MSE 4.9 upgrade was installed via Windows Update back in February. Is Safe Mode useful since you tried to reset permissions?

#4 jakkwb

jakkwb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 05:40 PM

No, cannot do anything in any safe mode. Just a blank screen with cursor....IDK what AV is on it, its not my laptop, but a friends.

#5 Abzyx

Abzyx

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2016 - 10:59 AM

I just learned that another Microsoft Security Essentials upgrade (4.10.205.0) was released via Windows Update to Vista and Windows 7 on September 27 (the day before your original post), I'm not sure what to suggest if you can't even use Safe Mode. In theory, MSE could be disabled by renaming certain drivers using most any live disc, but unfortunately I'm not familiar with MSE drivers.

#6 jakkwb

jakkwb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2016 - 09:44 AM

Still have the issue, if anyone wants to chime in here. Thank you.

#7 jakkwb

jakkwb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 03:28 PM

Anyone on this? Thank you.

#8 Abzyx

Abzyx

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 04:13 PM

If your friend does not want to reinstall Windows, ask your friend what antivirus is installed, then check their support site for instructions on how to disable using a bootable disk.

#9 jakkwb

jakkwb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2016 - 01:47 PM

I do not know what AV is installed, if any.

#10 jakkwb

jakkwb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2016 - 03:00 PM

Is there any way to access/change the Vista services or the startup programs from a bootable CD (windows or anything else)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users