Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Permissions issue with printer

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:26 PM

A printer has restricted access to a security group assigned with full permissions, there are no deny permissions specified in the security tab. UAC restrictions have been removed through group policy. Windows Server 2012 R2 being used as the print server.

All users in the group except one are able to install the machine. The problem pc has been restarted multiple times and gpupdate has been run.

User receives "Access Denied" message when trying to install.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:53 PM

So when you use \\servername\ and right click printer as that user what does it do?

And did you also use the local group policy to enforce the Point and Print restrictions(Enable and then use the do not show prompt for both), i had to use local GPO but also make sure its both User based and Computer based GPO.

Then they should be able to install the print driver with out showing the UAC.

Also to edit the policy with out logging in as the user, run this from a domain admin account and remember to leave the space after the : then the workstation name.

Edit GPO on Node

gpedit /gpcomputer: Computername

Then issue gpupdate remotley

wmic /node:Computername process call create "gpupdate /force"

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 28 September 2016 - 09:57 PM.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:54 PM

Same version of Windows on all machines? If the user logs onto another system does the issue follow them or stay with the pc? Are the other users local administrators?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:09 PM

Oh and also if you are logged in as the user then run the command rsop.msc and then right click the User tree and properties and see what error it shows. If any are there with a yellow triangle.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:40 PM

So when you use \\servername\ and right click printer as that user what does it do?

And did you also use the local group policy to enforce the Point and Print restrictions(Enable and then use the do not show prompt for both), i had to use local GPO but also make sure its both User based and Computer based GPO.

Then they should be able to install the print driver with out showing the UAC.

I get a context menu when right clicking printer. It will display properties but gives me access denied when I try to connect. I've had no issues with my implementation of disabling UAC, that was just for clarity.

Same version of Windows on all machines? If the user logs onto another system does the issue follow them or stay with the pc? Are the other users local administrators?

All 64bit Windows 7 all round. Problem is machine based not user based. No other users are admins.

Oh and also if you are logged in as the user then run the command rsop.msc and then right click the User tree and properties and see what error it shows. If any are there with a yellow triangle.

No errors... only has access to user profile though as they are a standard user.

Event log is not revealing anything of interest or note. Looking for more information...

Edited by TsVk!, 28 September 2016 - 11:41 PM.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:00 AM

This is the policy items I added to allow non administrator printer installs.

• Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\System\Driver Installation\Allow non-administrators to install drivers for these devices setup classes
    • Enabled
    • Device class GUID of printers: {4d36e979-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
  • Computer Configuration/Policies/Administrative Templates/Printers/Point and Print Restrictions
    • Enabled
    • Security Prompts: When Installing Drivers for a new connection = Do not show warning or elevation prompt

Seems to work on other machines, could this somehow be the issue for the one machine?

#7 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:13 AM

what UAC setting are on the machine because a straight up Deny when right clicking the printer and hitting connect is a permission issue mate.

I could almost garuntee it will work if you mapped the printer through control panel / printers and devices.

You shouldnt need to add the drive GUID in the GPO because thats mainly designed for PnP devices, i have a crap load in my GPO only for them as it allows none admins to install equipment drivers.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 29 September 2016 - 12:15 AM.

#8 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:15 AM

This is the policy items I added to allow non administrator printer installs.

• Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\System\Driver Installation\Allow non-administrators to install drivers for these devices setup classes
    • Enabled
    • Device class GUID of printers: {4d36e979-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
  • Computer Configuration/Policies/Administrative Templates/Printers/Point and Print Restrictions
    • Enabled
    • Security Prompts: When Installing Drivers for a new connection = Do not show warning or elevation prompt

Seems to work on other machines, could this somehow be the issue for the one machine?

make sure to do this on the User as well for both drop downs.

User Configuration/Policies/Administrative Templates/Control panel/Printers/Point and Print Restrictions

• Enabled

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:59 AM

Yeah, it's definitely a permissions issue. I don't want my users using the add printer function because they always cock it up and end up calling me anyway. We've written a nice easy point and click application for the users to install their printers but suddenly in the last month it's had permissions issues, which is when I added those policies. They have worked fine until now.

I didn't see those user policy options in my editor... I'll have a look again tomorrow when I'm back on the clock.

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 04:20 PM

I added the policy, but it didn't change anything.

Even when I log in using a domain admin account on that PC I cannot connect to any printer from it.

#11 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 04:29 PM

mm that is weird, maybe a windows update?

Whats in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers as far as printers go, maybe stop the print spooler service under services.msc and then remove any connection in the registry and re start print spooler, also see what permissions are located under that key as well and give the user FULL permissions and see if they can connect using the \\servername right click method.

Also check permissions here HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Print\Printers and make sure admin and authenticated users have access!

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 29 September 2016 - 04:30 PM.

#12 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 29 September 2016 - 05:16 PM

"All users in the group except one are able to install the machine."

&

"User receives "Access Denied" message when trying to install."

This is a local issue not a server issue.  Look at the users profile/applied policies though it sounds more like a corrupted registry.  Reimage/reinstall the pc.

#13 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 05:29 PM

I'm about a week away from hosing the machine, far more tenacious than many.

Edited by TsVk!, 29 September 2016 - 05:32 PM.

#14 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 05:59 PM

Is this going to be used by multiple people is it like a kiosk?

If the domain admin cant map a printer then its an issue LOL.

#15 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 06:10 PM

Figured out what the issue is.

We have a VPN off-site for SAP. On the other end they sometimes push DNS through the connection (don't ask me why, not my machines).

I disabled the VPN, disabled the DNS on the TAP adapter via registry, flushed the DNS, reconnected... and now it works.

Thanks for your help working through it anyway guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users