Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DISM Failure - Why?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:08 PM

Hello All,

See this screen shot:  https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B98uELZbPFnOeDN2bXh5RWtIbHc

I have seen this sort of message if the internet connection was down, but that doesn't appear to be the case here.  I was just wondering if there's anything obvious I should check for prior to asking anyone to take a look at the log files.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 05:06 AM

Have you tried this?

DISM /Online should only be used when running from within Windows. Run this command instead:

Dism /Image:C:\ /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Did you also try doing SFC scan while booting off of Recovery Environment or Install Disk? In those cases, the commands are slightly different:
sfc.exe /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows

Can't remember where I got this from (one of the forum members here), but as I recall, the C:\ should point to the image

More info here:  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

I've heard of there being problems with DISM in later builds - but am unsure at which build this started.
I haven't tried to run DISM on 10586 and later buids.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 29 September 2016 - 05:28 AM

Check for new Windows updates as DISM uses Windows Update service to download corrupted component store files.

Posted Image

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 7,828 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:45 AM

Well, I'm in a bit of a catch-22 here.

The machine in question got hosed by a version of the AU that appears to have repartitioned both the onboard hard drive and what had been the external backup drive.  I have spent several days getting various pieces put back together.

We had been having no luck with getting the Anniversary Update to apply, but I haven't tried again since getting the C: drive put back together such that it has about 200 GB of empty space.  I wanted to get a clean SFC (which I did not) and a clean DISM (which I did not) on the existing 1511 build before I tried applying the Anniversary Update.

I have got a copy of both the 1511 and 1607 ISOs on disc.  I am wondering if I should try the technique suggested toward the end of this thread on superuser.com?

I have not dealt with a machine that still functioned but that is this screwed up "just beneath the surface" in a very long time.  It's even more sad because this is an owner who's been doing all the right things, including backing up (but not with system images, and I've taken care of that going forward).  In the end all I want to do is get the machine to apply the Anniversary Update and be on its way.

Would it make more sense to try another attempt to install the Anniversary Update first? 

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:04 AM

There comes a point where it's no longer worth trying to salvage a damaged system - and that's the point where a wipe and reinstall is the tool of choice.

As a tech, I feel like I've failed when I do a wipe and reinstall - so I don't do many of them.
But I also don't want to work on systems for weeks - so I have to choose carefully what I try to fix and what I give up on.

If you can't install the Anniversary Update - then the system is messed up.

How do you know that you've fixed everything - even if you get the Anniversary Update to install?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 7,828 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:27 PM

John,

Well, I am going to give the DISM with external WIM a go before giving up entirely.

The Anniversary Update replaces so much of the OS that it could easily supplant the files that are now problematic.  If it were to install successfully I'd still have the client run SFC and DISM post update to make sure things were clean.

Then, if a Reset with "Keep my files" becomes necessary due to SFC and/or DISM not being able to fix it (if indeed anything needs to be fixed) then so be it.

I hate doing resets because of what can potentially be lost.  But if one must, one must.  At least at this point I have File History backing up all of his user files and Macrium Reflect doing full and incremental backups on a regular basis.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,630 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 01:25 PM

Run DISM, provide me the DISM.log and CBS.log, and I can handle the rest  :thumbup2:

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 7,828 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 05:47 PM

Aura,

This is more easily said than done in that I've not got the machine under my control and am having the "DISM with external WIM" run by the client.  I dropped a thumb drive with the WIM for the 1511 version of Windows 10 and wrote a one line DISM command for him that he needs to edit only so that the drive letter his machine assigns to the thumb drive gets used.

If it fails again I can ask him to snag the DISM and CBS logs if I can be explicit about their locations.  I think there's the possibility that a CBS log could get overwritten by something else being run but also that the DISM log is "sacred" until or unless another DISM is run.  Is this correct?

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 29 September 2016 - 05:47 PM

You should provide the log files Aura ask for he is trained to resolve System File Checker errors.

The link you have provided is how i would execute Dism command to repair corrupted component store but this Dism command not always works if it does not then you can mount the install.wim image file and execute Dism command with /source and /LimitedAccess parameters. I will write you quick tutorial on how to mount install.wim image file and execute Dism command to extract corrupted system files.

First try below command if it does not work follow my instructions to mount the install.wim image file. 

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess  

Replace the X: drive letter with a drive letter where Install.wim is stored.

Mount the Install.wim image.

1. Get index number for Windows OS edition you want to repair for example my Windows 10 Setup DVD i executed below command

Dism /get-wiminfo /WimFile:"L:\sources\install.wim"

This command output is below:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>Dism /get-wiminfo /WimFile:"L:\sources\install.wim"

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.14393.0

Details for image : L:\sources\install.wim

Index : 1
Name : Windows 10 Pro
Description : Windows 10 Pro
Size : 13,622,146,425 bytes

Index : 2
Name : Windows 10 Home
Description : Windows 10 Home
Size : 13,564,815,558 bytes

The operation completed successfully.

As you can see there is two editions of Windows 10 compress within Install.wim file lets say you want to repair Windows 10 Pro its Index number is 1 we will need this number to tell Dism which edition we want to work with.

2. Execute below command to create folder named MountWim at root of C: partition.

md C:\MountWim

3. Execute below command to mount the Install.wim image file.

Dism  /Mount-Wim  /WimFile:"L:\sources\install.wim"  /index:1  /MountDir:C:\MountWim

Replace the L:\sources folder path with where Install.wim image file stored. Replace the number 1 with Windows edition you want to work with.

4. Type below command to repair corrupted competent store:

DISM  /Online  /Cleanup-Image  /RestoreHealth     /Source:"C:\MountWim\Windows"   /LimitAccess

5. After above command finnish without error then type Sfc /scannow to repair damage or missing Windows System files.

6. After you have finnish you need to unmount the Install.wim image file execute below command:

Dism  /Unmount-Wim   /MountDir:C:\MountWim   /discard

Edited by FreeBooter, 29 September 2016 - 05:53 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users