Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Question about my JRT log

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 behem0th

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 28 September 2016 - 07:12 PM

Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) by Malwarebytes
Version: 8.0.8 (09.20.2016)
Operating System: Windows 10 Home x64 
Ran by Computer (Administrator) on Wed 09/28/2016 at 18:01:35.08
File System: 4 
Successfully deleted: C:\Users\Computer\AppData\Local\{87C2B19E-A36A-DD26-CEF2-F8CEEA9A0456} (Empty Folder)
Successfully deleted: C:\Users\Computer\AppData\Local\crashrpt (Folder) 
Successfully deleted: C:\Users\Computer\AppData\Roaming\3909 (Folder) 
Successfully deleted: C:\WINDOWS\wininit.ini (File) 
Registry: 0 
Scan was completed on Wed 09/28/2016 at 18:04:42.84
End of JRT log
My question is, is it okay that wininit.ini was removed? Was it an infected Windows file? What does it do?

Edited by hamluis, 28 September 2016 - 08:07 PM.
Moved from MRL to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jaycan

• Members
  • 437 posts
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:17 PM

There are many similar posts like this, but all are pre Windows 10. (This related to a Dell, and just shows Temp Files)

The file WinInit.ini is a 'temporary' file, which is run once on the next bootup, and then it should be automatically deleted.  It contains 'updated' system information. 

For example, many setups/installations that force you to reboot will place commands in the wininit.ini file, and then load/access the updated files upon reboot (these files are generally indicated by a RE-Name command). 

Other programs, like AVG antivirus, use the wininit.ini to 'clean up' older (backup) files that are no longer needed (these files are generally indicated by a NUL command).

J.R.T. is designed mainly to delete Temp or Minor infections.

Clear Cache/Temp Files with TFC by Old Timer

Download TFC by TFC.exe (Geeks to go link) to your desktop or download from BleepingComputer  secure Downloads

• Please double-click TFC.exe to run it, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two.  Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

No log is expected after this, but you may still get .ini files

I currently have 2 .ini "shadowy" files on my desktop, but they are from programs I altered and they do not annoy me

You are not infected just unaware of what a .ini file is

Edited by Jaycan, 28 September 2016 - 09:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users