Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer desk top will not boot Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 boomdig

boomdig

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 28 September 2016 - 03:15 PM

Have an Acer desk top that when powered up I immediately get a window that says to press F1 to start. This screen appears every time I power it on. Even resorted to getting a PS2 mouse and keyboard. Once in a great while it will finally boot into Windows 10 but my mouse is frozen and can't do anything. I can't get to my BIOS or anything as it shows that screen with press F1 to start and stays there. Don't know what to do with the system as it doesn't boot and give me mouse or keyboard access. Bought it off Ebay but kept it in the box until my old desktop died so it was after the 30 day return policy. Any ideas? I am leaning towards a bad hard drive but hope that isn't it.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 28 September 2016 - 03:44 PM

#1:   Reset the BIOS back to factory default.  In case you are not sure how to do this, power down and unplug the power cable from the wall socket. Press the power switch for 5 seconds (clears the capacitors). Open the case and remove the CMOS battery for about 10 minutes. It looks like a small, silver coin about the size of a nickel. Many computers also have a small jumper switch usually located close to the battery. Move the jumper to the side, wait about 10 seconds, then move it back to original position again. You can check your computer manual to find where this jumper is located. Then reinstall the CMOS battery again; make sure you get the polarity correct, if you put it in backwards the computer will do some really strange things, and possibly not boot. Replug the power cable and boot.

#2: Try to enter Safe Mode; if you don't know how to do this post back or see the manual (if one came with the computer).

Post back with the results of both the above. Please include the make and model of the computer, we are working in the dark here.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 boomdig

boomdig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:41 PM

Thank you ranchand_

Did this and nothing happened. Well, besides a long, long time to boot up. Once I hit the power button the screen with the instructions to click on F1 was back. No other changes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users