Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't boot after data recovery

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 1M_Industries

1M_Industries

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 28 September 2016 - 02:19 PM

So, this is a long one.

Grandma has two HDDs, one with a win10 install (Borked, long story.) and one with a win7 install. We took the computer to Geek Squad as the win7 instance was BSODing with an error that I couldn't figure out. Sounds great, right? They couldn't figure it out either, so we took the box back home, hooked it up, and...it boots into Geek Squad's analysis software. Okay then. Turns out, they left their disk in the DVD drive of the box by accident. I decided to run a SMART scan, which turned up 500 bad sectors on the win10 disk, and ~5-10 on the win7 disk. <PanicTime> So, 2 new HDDs ordered, and professional data recovery slated for the win10 instance, but in the meantime, I used ddrescue to transfer all the data from the win7 drive to a new drive. However, when I put this new drive in the box and booted, it did not go into win7, a BSOD, or even a windows recovery screen. It merely sat blinking a "_". I tried using a win7 install disk in recovery mode, but for some reason that says that there is no OS on the new win7 drive, and when I tried using Advanced System Options to get into recovery/repair mode, that option was not on the list. What can I do to hopefully fix this win7 instance? Even getting it back to the partially booting then BSODing state that we took it to Geek Squad in would be fine at this point. Thank you in advance for your help! :D

Edited by hamluis, 28 September 2016 - 03:51 PM.
Moved from Crashes BSODs to Backup/Imaging - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 07:19 AM

Hopefully you have or know the product key code for activated Win10? (I take photos of mine, which are cloud stored)

If you know your product key code, you can easily do a cold full install upon replacement of the drive.

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users