Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anything better than Dropbox (paid)?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:27 PM

Here's the deal, I like the option to have a cloud file sharing/storage application on my IPhone for my pictures and videos.

I been using Dropbox for awhile now and love it but I have outgrown the free version and giving serious thought to paying for it annually at $8.95 a month unless I can find something that works just as good and is free with a lot more storage space: estimating . 

I tried Google Drive but I yet to see how I can select the entire picture folder; all my attempts is an individual selection and that is crazy for according to my phone I currently have over 900 images and videos. 

Thank You. 

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:33 PM

Google Drive gives you up to 15 GB for free. It's the best alternative to Dropbox right now. If you want to pay for storage there is also iDrive, and Microsoft OneDrive.

#3 Ivy74

Ivy74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:42 PM

Google Drive gives you up to 15 GB for free. It's the best alternative to Dropbox right now. If you want to pay for storage there is also iDrive, and Microsoft OneDrive.

But the only problem I have using Google Drive is I can't find a way to select the entire contents of the folder? Am I missing something?

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#4 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:44 PM

But the only problem I have using Google Drive is I can't find a way to select the entire contents of the folder? Am I missing something?

Do you mean select the entire picture folder, as in the picture folder on your phone (not the Google Drive Photos)?

#5 Ivy74

Ivy74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:45 PM

Do you mean select the entire picture folder, as in the picture folder on your phone (not the Google Drive Photos)?

Yes. I just did another search and for the first time I found the "Google Drive Photos" suggestion. Trying that now as we speak.

***Note***

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:46 PM

I checked both the Box app and OneDrive app...neither offer a "select all" type option. You have to do it one by one.

So, if Google Drive does not offer it, then I am not aware of any free service with decent storage that offers that option other than DropBox.

About the only other option is a "camera upload" setting (DropBox has it as does OneDrive, I believe). I don't use that option, so I don't know how effective it is.

#7 Ivy74

Ivy74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:50 PM

Well I'll be damned. All I need to do was install "Google Drive Photos". It's currently uploading now using WIFI only which is ideal to do now since I am at work and our up-speeds are crazy fast!

***Note***

#8 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:50 PM

When I browsed my Google Photos in the Drive app I was able to select all. I assume it can do the same for a file directory on the phone. Checking...

#9 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:52 PM

Hmm, it does not appear to be able to look in the phone's directories. 

Well I'll be damned. All I need to do was install "Google Drive Photos". It's currently uploading now using WIFI only which is ideal to do now since I am at work and our up-speeds are crazy fast!

Oh good. Did Google Drive Photos solve the problem?

#10 Ivy74

Ivy74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:54 PM

Hmm, it does not appear to be able to look in the phone's directories. 

Oh good. Did Google Drive Photos solve the problem?

Yeah. Before I had just "Google Drive" and couldn't find a way to do it. Then of course AFTER I posted this I found a link and they said "Google Drive Photos" well once I did that everything was pretty obvious. Me happy.

Thanks for replying so fast; much appreciated!

***Note***

#11 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 01:05 PM

You're welcome. 

#12 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 01:19 PM

If you already pay for Amazon Prime, you get unlimited storage for photos. Will work the same way as Google Drive as well, will upload when you are on wifi and will automatically upload new photos.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#13 Ivy74

Ivy74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 01:32 PM

If you already pay for Amazon Prime, you get unlimited storage for photos. Will work the same way as Google Drive as well, will upload when you are on wifi and will automatically upload new photos.

Yes, but that isn't a free option. I am willing to pay if there is no good free options but the Google option is free, 15GB's of space, in short it's a perfect solution for now.

***Note***

#14 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 02:01 PM

Yes, not free. But was just mentioning it in case you had Amazon Prime already. Since it is included with it and not many people know you get unlimited photo storage with them when you have it.

Google is a great free option. 15GB should give you a decent amount of storage space for a little while.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#15 Ivy74

Ivy74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 02:24 PM

Yes, not free. But was just mentioning it in case you had Amazon Prime already. Since it is included with it and not many people know you get unlimited photo storage with them when you have it.

Google is a great free option. 15GB should give you a decent amount of storage space for a little while.

I used to be a part of AP and Netflix but found I play my guitar and bass more than I watch TV; also found I did not buy enough stuff to justify for the 2 day shipping (even though that was a nice feature). So in short cancelled both. 

Edited by Ivy74, 28 September 2016 - 03:04 PM.

***Note***

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users