Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 issues continue to mount

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 tzoromski135

tzoromski135

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:30 AM

My Windows 10 issues continue to mount - I've updated my hardware and memory just to get rid of the BSOD that happened numerous times a week.  My hardware and memory upgrades seemed to take care of the BSOD problems, however now I have an issue that seems to point to my registry being really messed up or something else is very wrong.

Why am I posting here? The problem I am having right now relates to a Seagate 8TB external hard drive that my main PC suddenly quit recognizing and would not list under "This PC" but would list under Device Manager and all diagnostic tools did see the drive as well, but I could NOT access the drive at all to open the files on it.  Eventually, I found that the drive was eventually tagged as "failing" by Seatools diagnostics.  I placed an order for an expedited replacement drive which arrived yesterday.  Today, I connected the new drive to my PC and once again, it would NOT show up under "this PC" but everywhere else I went, it was listed.  Once again, I was able to diagnose the drive but not able to open the drive in windows to add files.

Ticked off, I booted up my laptop and connected the new drive...the laptop saw the drive and listed the drive under "this PC" so I can update and add new files to the drive.

On my main PC, I believe I have registry issues or windows is really messed up since the last critical update.  30 minutes ago, I opened system restore and selected a date to restore files and settings to when the PC saw the external drive and I could update files on it, however for the last 30 minutes, system restore has been stuck on "system restore is initializing" with no progress being made.  I don't know what exactly is messed up with my main PC, but since system restore is not making any progress in over 30 minutes, I think something is very wrong with the registry or other critical system settings that allow my PC to read the external hard drive or saved files.  I have 3 other Seagate and Western Digital external hard drives that are 4TB that my PC has no issues with.  I am just getting tired of the issues I'm having with Windows 10 on my main PC.

Anyone on here have any idea as to what would cause system restore to not make ANY progress in over 30 minutes and be the only computer that would not list a 8TB seagate external drive under "This PC"?

Update:  Just checked my main PC and system restore just started restoring the registry after 40 minutes of "initializing".

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tzoromski135

tzoromski135
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:45 AM

UPDATE: system restore finished after 45 minutes and now my PC is in an endless error and reboot cycle with windows attempting repairs and failing.  Error code 0xc000021a

I'm officially screwed..WTF!?!?!

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:17 PM

Have you ever done a clean install of Windows 10 by wiping the drive and starting from scratch?

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff560177(v=vs.85).aspx

If you have a Windows 10 install disk you can try doing a Startup Repair. It may take up to three attempts to finish.

#4 tzoromski135

tzoromski135
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:52 PM

Heck no I can't do a clean windows install..I'd lose all my programs and files. I don't have a windows CD either. I upgraded with the free offer. Microsoft needs to fix the damn issues with Windows 10!

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,592 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 01:02 PM

As far as I am concerned Microsoft made a serious mistake doing an OS upgrade of Windows 7 or 8 without at least telling people they should have imaged the drive before upgrading.

You can create a Windows 10 DVD or bootable flash drive by downloading the Media Creation Tool on another computer. Boot the install DVD or USB flash drive. Select Repair Computer > Troubleshoot. Do a Startup Repair.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

Windows-10-Windows-Recovery-Options-Inst

#6 tzoromski135

tzoromski135
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 01:42 PM

Unfortunately, my pc is currently stuck in the reboot cycle. It fails repair and an attempt to restore to an earlier date failed. My PC won't boot successfully now. Keeps running the error code mentioned earlier

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,592 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 02:20 PM

You don't have access to another computer to create the Windows 10 install media?

#8 tzoromski135

tzoromski135
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:05 PM

I tried a repair disc and it did nothing for me - a USB Drive with the Windows files on it did nothing either - I selected "removable media" as my first boot option on the BIOS and my computer didn't even see the USB with windows on it.  My computer won't boot and I need it to boot!

I'm downloading the .iso file because burning direct to DVD isn't an option using that media creation tool you directed me to use.  It only offers to create USB bootable drive with Windows on it or download iso file.  How am I to burn it to a DVD after it's downloaded? 

I thought I could use my current windows installation to create an image and fix my PC that is stuck in an endless boot cycle. 

There was an option to create a repair CD which I did but my PC didn't do anything with it.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,592 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:16 PM

I'm downloading the .iso file because burning direct to DVD isn't an option using that media creation tool you directed me to use.  It only offers to create USB bootable drive with Windows on it or download iso file.  How am I to burn it to a DVD after it's downloaded? 

For an iso file you can right click the file and select Burn Disk Image on a Windows 7 or later computer. For any other OS use Imgburn. For a USB flash drive you can use Rufus. Select GPT partition scheme in the dropdown box. Leave all boxes as checked. Where FreeDos is shown in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the iso file. Press Start. Backup any data you need on the flash drive as it will be formatted.

Your computer should have a boot menu you can access by tapping a key at boot letting you select either the DVD or USB flash drive as the boot device.

#10 tzoromski135

tzoromski135
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:43 PM

Tried booting through the DVD and it never used the DVD media to repair the start up.  what am I not doing that I need to be doing?  It asks me if I want to do a clean install, I click NO. I select "repair my computer" and it kicks me off the DVD - the DVD drive no longer "reads" the media, then I click on start up repair and it still does not read from the DVD in the drive - the repair fails.  WTF?

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,592 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:49 PM

That should not be happening. After selecting Repair Computer you should get the screen with the Troubleshooting option. Try using a USB flash drive. I'm not sure if you iso file is corrupted.

See the heading - 

Booting to Recovery Environment with Windows 10 installation media or Recovery Drive/System Repair Disc

https://www.winhelp.us/repair-your-computer-in-windows-10.html

#12 tzoromski135

tzoromski135
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:07 PM

That should not be happening. After selecting Repair Computer you should get the screen with the Troubleshooting option. Try using a USB flash drive. I'm not sure if you iso file is corrupted.

See the heading - 

Booting to Recovery Environment with Windows 10 installation media or Recovery Drive/System Repair Disc

https://www.winhelp.us/repair-your-computer-in-windows-10.html

I'm not sure what's going on - I put the DVD that I burned the iso file to into my CDROM drive and boot from it - I get a white window that says "it looks like you were in the progress of an update and are attempting to boot from a bootable disc..to continue with the update, please remove the disc and click yes.  TO continue with a clean install, click NO.  I click NO and get the Window you showed above with the "install" or "repair my computer" option - upon clicking "repair my computer", the screen goes from the deep purple background to the light blue with "continue using Windows 10" option, advanced option, etc.  I tried the bootable USB, however USB is not an option from the BOOT menu for some reason or another. 

And no, I don't believe I had an update occurring when this endless boot cycle occurred.  If there was a way to fix the MBR (if thats why my PC is no longer successfully booting up), I'd jump at it so I can get my PC booted up.  Looks like I'm screwed, but I hope not.  Been trying the DVD a couple times and the PC is not using the DVD in the drive to fix the start up files.  It's trying to diagnose and automatically repair each time.

#13 tzoromski135

tzoromski135
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:20 PM

Ok, just an update about the endless boot cycle - since the DVD didn't seem to be working and an attempted "system restore" started it all, I went to advanced options and attempted to undo the last restore.  Even though it said it failed, my PC booted all the way up, although it was slow to load windows 10, then I got a window on my home screen that my system restore has been successfully restored to 9/28/16 10:37:19am - which was the restore attempt that started the endless re-boot loop.  Now if there's a way to repair Windows 10 before I shut down my PC for the night....

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,592 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:24 PM

Windows is rolling out an Anniversary update. I'm not sure if that is the problem or some other small update is trying to finish. Was this computer updated from another OS like Windows 7 or 8?

It may be best to to a clean install of the Windows 10 install DVD but doing this would need to reinstall all your programs. You would also need to backup all your personal data. 

There is a Reset option where it will let you keep all your personal files but you would need to reinstall all your program and backup things like your browser bookmarks.

This asus support page shows the process but it fine for any computer.

http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1013063/

#15 tzoromski135

tzoromski135
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:44 PM

Windows is rolling out an Anniversary update. I'm not sure if that is the problem or some other small update is trying to finish. Was this computer updated from another OS like Windows 7 or 8?

It may be best to to a clean install of the Windows 10 install DVD but doing this would need to reinstall all your programs. You would also need to backup all your personal data. 

There is a Reset option where it will let you keep all your personal files but you would need to reinstall all your program and backup things like your browser bookmarks.

This asus support page shows the process but it fine for any computer.

http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1013063/

I updated to Windows 10 from Windows 7.  I did not upgrade to Windows 8 after hearing how bad it was - I held off from upgrading to Windows 10 for months after the free upgrade offer launched - I didn't upgrade until the month prior to Microsoft announcing the end to the free upgrade.

Here's the MAJOR reason I've been holding off on a clean install - all the programs I have were bought and downloaded online - I don't have install discs or the KEYS to make them work - some programs would require a upgrade to the current edition to work again. I don't have the money to really upgrade my programs at the moment.  If there was a way to get the license keys from my current programs and transfer them to a new PC - and still work - that's my ultimate goal is buying a refurbished or "newer" tower vs doing a clean install - my CPU is very old - AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ 2.81 GHZ.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users