Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Shuts Down Without Warning During Gaming

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Wargar_Bova

Wargar_Bova

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:07 AM

Hello, hopefully I'm posting this in the right forum. I'm fairly new to the PC world and I've taken it upon myself to boldly jump right in so I built my own rig from parts I've selected from PCPartPicker with hopes of not only playing the latest games but also doing a bit of video and audio editing as well. That being said after a week of setting it up and installing drivers, operating systems and the like I'm already experiencing issues. 

I got the alpha version of Star Citizen to test out my graphics card and after a couple minutes of gameplay my computer would shut down. I tried this a few times at different resolutions and quality settings and I'd still experience the same issue. So I tried it with an already finished game, Fractured Space, ran it on high settings and experienced the same issue. My computer is shutting off after a couple minutes of gameplay and not restarting. 

I've checked temperatures with Speedfan and Speccy, even bought a new fan just to keep the air flowing, got all three fans above 1000 RPM and yet the problem persists. Right before the PC shuts down my GPU hits around 65C. I've racked my mind over temperatures that I've beginning to think it could be something else. Perhaps my power? I'll differ to your judgement. 

My rig, 

-Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor 
-Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit 

-Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case 
-Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler 

-Asus Z170-P ATX LGA1151 Motherboard 
-Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 RAM Memory 
-Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card 
-EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply 

-Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
-Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 

Thank you very much for your time,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:30 AM

Your issue sounds like CPU is overheating which when it does it will shutdown the computer. What is the temperature of your computer CPU if its high you should apply new thermal paste to your CPU.

Posted Image

#3 Wargar_Bova

Wargar_Bova
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:38 AM

Your issue sounds like CPU is overheating which when it does it will shutdown the computer. What is the temperature of your computer CPU if its high you should apply new thermal paste to your CPU.

I'll have to get you my exact CPU temperatures later today, after work but I actually applied a new coat of thermal paste last night when I installed my Hyper 212 EVO and I still had a shutdown later yesterday night.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:36 PM

As you said your new to building your own PC because of this let make sure you have apply the thermal paste correctly please watch the youtube video clip.

Also are you overclocking your PC?

Check the BIOS setup utility to make sure every settings for your PC attached components are setup correctly if you don't know how and what settings need for each attached components set the setting to Auto.

Edited by FreeBooter, 28 September 2016 - 09:38 PM.

Posted Image

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,521 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:54 PM

Maybe for awhile, reset CPU's overclock setting back to default?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 Wargar_Bova

Wargar_Bova
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:50 AM

Thermal paste was very recently applied and I believe in correct fashion. At rest my CPU sits at 25C, GPU at 31C, Motherboard 28C, Harddrive and SSD on average at 26C.

I did stress tests on my CPU and GPU last night. Under stress my GPU got to about 70C, bounced around that for a few minutes and my system shut down. Before it shut down my CPU only reached 31C, my motherboard got up to 34C, and my SSD and harddrive didn't change much in temperature at all. Looked at my event log and no thermal errors popped up.

I ran a CPU test and got it up to 45C, bounced around that for a few minutes and nothing happened, so I can probably rule CPU out as the culprit. 

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:27 PM

Download and run CPUID'S HWMonitor.  Use the snipping tool to capture an image of the readings and post it in your topic as an attachement.

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

attachment_zps9v6amtri.png

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download MiniToolBox to your desktop.

Right-click on MiniToolBox.exe and select Run as Administrator.

You will see an image like the one below.

minitoolbox_zps7byuwkla.png

Click on the following checkboxes only:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, then copy and paste it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 06:06 PM

Thermal paste was very recently applied and I believe in correct fashion. At rest my CPU sits at 25C, GPU at 31C, Motherboard 28C, Harddrive and SSD on average at 26C.

I did stress tests on my CPU and GPU last night. Under stress my GPU got to about 70C, bounced around that for a few minutes and my system shut down. Before it shut down my CPU only reached 31C, my motherboard got up to 34C, and my SSD and harddrive didn't change much in temperature at all. Looked at my event log and no thermal errors popped up.

I ran a CPU test and got it up to 45C, bounced around that for a few minutes and nothing happened, so I can probably rule CPU out as the culprit. 

You CPU can handle maximum temperature 71°C as your CPU reach the maximum temperature it will shut the system down. Test your CPU without graphic card attached to computer.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users