Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC freezing during gaming at my place, not in repair shop!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 agamej

agamej

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:04 AM

Hi Guys,

I've had my pc for a year and still the same issue remains. While gaming the pc freezes, and i can't do anything anymore, the screen stays locked and i have to do a hard reboot.

Or the screen freezes for a couple of seconds, then reboots.
My temps are fine, both for gpu and cpu never exceeding 70 degrees.
It can happen after 5 mins or 2-3 hours, with any game, dying light, witcher 3, division, mad max, shadows of mordor, all crashed at random points, etc.
So i sent the pc back to the shop, they tested for more then a week now, haven't had a crash yet. They ran some benchmarks, played wither and division at ultra settings

1440p 144hz, all same as me, no crash.... I am clueless at this point.

So they asked me to also send my monitor, dells 2716dg, to test with that as well.

The stranger thing is, i Have a second windows 7 pc hooked up to the same monitor, where i recently upgraded the gpu to a 1070, and that one doesn't crash either.

In the past they have already replaced the psu and motherboard, that didn't help. They say they tested the ram, no issues there.

I really, really need help here, i'm at my wits end.

This is my setup

636067 Phanteks Enthoo Primo - Fulltowermodel -

645230 Corsair Air Series AF140 LED Quiet Edition -

649766 WD Black WD1003FZEX - Vaste schijf - 1 TB - intern -
3.5" - SATA-600 - 7200 tpm -buffer: 64 MB

717681 Samsung 850 Pro Series MZ-7KE256BW - Solid state drive
- 256 GB - intern - 2.5'' - SATA-600

821717 Be quiet! Dark Power PRO 11 1200W - Voeding ( intern )
- ATX12V 2.4/ EPS12V 2.92 - 80 PLUS Platinum - 1200
Watt - actieve PFC

831680 Samsung Super-WriteMaster SH-224FB - Schijfstation -
DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM - 24x/24x/5x - Serial ATA -
intern - 5.25" -

Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Perfomance Liquid CPU
Cooler - Intel / AMD compatible

Gigabyte 1080 xtreme gaming GPU

837546 Intel Core i7-6700K / 4 GHz - 8 MB cache - LGA1151
Socket -

839929 Corsair Vengeance LPX - Geheugen - 16 GB : 2 x 8 GB -
DIMM 288-pins - DDR4 - 2133 MHz / PC4-17066 - CL13 -
1.2 V

840301 Windows 10 Home - Licentie en media - Nederlands -
64-bit - OEM - DVD - 1PC

843618 ASUS Z170-DELUXE - Moederbord - ATX - LGA1151 Socket -
Z170 - Gigabit Ethernet - HD Audio -

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 agamej

agamej
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 02:03 PM

Up

Edited by agamej, 29 September 2016 - 01:47 PM.

#3 agamej

agamej
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 01:47 PM

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

#4 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 29 September 2016 - 04:28 PM

Seems like bad hardware, like a defective video card. Changing the monitor shouldn't have any impact. It's just a display.

Did the repair shop do anything about the video card, other than benchmarks? Benchmarks are not that great at unearthing problems.

Have you updated your drivers to the latest? If so, did you do a true clean install (not in Programs & Features, but with the Wagnard's DDU.)? 

Is there a game, or something you do in game, that can trigger the freeze?

#5 agamej

agamej
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2016 - 12:40 AM

Thx for the reply, but its not the gpu. First i had 980ti in sli, then 1 980ti, then a week or 2 ago they changed that for a 1080... still happens.

Yeah, they played my games at the shop. Witcher, division, both ran for a long time, no crash there... thats the puzzling part.

#6 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2016 - 10:46 AM

So you swapped the mobo, gpu, and psu, what about the boot medium? You run Windows off of the SSD? Can you run Windows off of your regular hard drive, the WD black drive? See if the issue occurs with that.

I have seen a number o SSD's fail early, well before they were due. They can cause sudden freezing.

Also, do you get BSOD before it reboots?

#7 agamej

agamej
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2016 - 10:50 AM

Windows is on the ssd, yes. I never got a bsod. Or the screen freezes and stays like that and i have to hard reboot or the screen freezes for a couple secs, then reboots itself.

I just followed the store playing my games at my settings thriugh skype screen sharing. It did not crash yet. I did jowever see something strange, in hwmonitor or cpu-z, the vcore for the cpu was showing a max of 1.418 , which is way too high for safe everyday use. At my place its set to auto as well in the bios, but i don't think it has ever gone higher then 1.370. If it needs the 1.41 in some occasions but for some reason isn getting it when i set it to auto, that can be the reason its crashing at my place, right?

#8 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2016 - 01:33 PM

If there is no BSOD that tends to mean it is either the motherboard or the PSU, it could be some other component, but those are the most likely when there is no BSOD.

According to Intel's data sheet on your CPU the max voltage for that chip is 1.52. Minimum is .55. 1.418 should be fine.

Do you overclock your machine at all?

#9 agamej

agamej
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2016 - 02:06 PM

Nope, i dont overclock. The strangesr part is it hasnt crashed yet in the store, when it crashes frequently at my place, totally clueless.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users