Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Cpu Is The Best?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sashby34

sashby34

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 20 August 2006 - 05:07 PM

[ Hello Everybody! :thumbsup:

I am hopeing that I can get some advice on making my computer. I am considering making myself a new computer out of parts that I buy on-line and/or at Fry’s. I am researching these CPU’s and I am trying to decide which CPU is the best to go with.

I am only a casual gamer, (I don’t play first person shooters), but I do occasionally play MMORPG’s and I would like a machine that will run Elder Scrolls 4 (oblivion) well, without any choppiness. Because I have to work for a living (as sergeants in the army like to say when people mistakenly salute them) I am budget minded. Which CPU is better and why; and which is second best. All are bare CPU’s with motherboards, new in a box witch need to be assembled; I will be buying the other parts separately.

#1 Intel Pentium D 805 Dual Core 2.66 GHz 800 2MB LGA 775

I know that this one is only listed as 2.66 clock speed, but I thought that it should be very, very good still as it is a true due core (so they say); this model does not have to use hyper threading technology to try to imitate the process of a duel corps on a single corps chip. But, the price on the online store is listing it as only a $106.99 (plus $16 for shipping)

#2 Intel Pentium 4 P4 661 3.6 GHz 800 660 2MB LGA 775 CPU

This one is $250 at its buy now price. I know that it is listed as a 3.4 clock speed, but it is not a true duel corps, it has to use hyper threading technology to try to imitate the process of a duel corps on one corps. So shouldn’t CPU #1 be better? Why is it so much cheaper?

I know I’m wrong on something here; but what is it?
[indent=1]

Edited by sashby34, 20 August 2006 - 05:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rabbuk

Rabbuk

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 20 August 2006 - 11:30 PM

its cores not corps. It really depends on what your using this computer for as far as which is recommended.
Rabbuk

[size=7]GO BEARS!

#3 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2006 - 01:04 AM

Well let me be the first to welcome you to Bleeping Computer. :thumbsup:

The Intel Pentium 4 P4 661 3.6 GHz 800 660 2MB LGA 775 CPU should be faster, but will create more heat and suck up more power. Have you though of any of the lower end Core 2 processors, or perhaps a AMD Athlno 64? As they would be better for games.

Edited by protozero, 21 August 2006 - 01:06 AM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 12:28 PM

The Intel Core 2 Extreme X 6800 is the fastest processor today.
http://www.intel.com/performance/desktop/e...me/industry.htm

#5 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:01 PM

It's the fastest one avalible, yes. But the lower end one's give you much more performance for the buck.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users