Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help..I'm tired of replacing laptops every two years

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 lyssa615

lyssa615

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 28 September 2016 - 08:46 AM

Hi, can anyone recommend a laptop that will actually last over 2 years? Right now I have a Lenovo G50 notebook which I purchased 2 years ago. I had the hard drive replaced under warranty when it was 6 months old, and it just went again. Instead of replacing it again, I just want to get something new and more reliable. I use it strictly for uploading music on itunes and burning it on a disc, surfing the internet and occasional photo editing. I've read that building my own computer is recommended, but I have no idea how to do that. So, can anyone recommend anything? I would say my budget is about $600-$700 and I'd consider a tablet OR a laptop, although I don't believe I could work with music on a tablet. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 08:53 AM

Sounds to me like your solution is just an extended warranty...there is no way to guarantee that any system will "last" or be covered by the manufactuer beyond the stated warranty period.  These items are mass-produced by human beings...the odds of obtaining one such as you describe...would be the same as any previously purchased system.

Perhaps some reflection about usage and care...would allow you to draw some conclusions about what contributed to the system demise, if indeed whatever was wrong was not related to malware, hard drive problems, or other typical system situations.

Louis

#3 lyssa615

lyssa615
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:28 AM

I believe the problem with the last two laptops I've owned (both Lenovo) was hard drive failure. I had owned desktops in the past that lasted 8+ years with no problems, so I was surprised that I had problems so quickly with the laptops. Perhaps a laptop with a better quality hard drive would be a better choice? 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:49 AM

If a hard drive problem, it's simple enough to replace the drive and they are not that expensive. Currently there are only three companies that make hard drives. IMHO today's hard drives are junk compared to what they were 10 years ago. 

If you get a new computer then make sure you create a disk image of the hard drive after installing all your preferred programs and updates to an external drive using a program like Macrium Free or Aomei Backupper Standard. Using the bootable media created by these programs you could restore the image from the external drive to the new blank drive and be back up in minutes. By doing disk image updates at regular intervals would let you avoid spending hours getting the computer updated after installing a new disk. The programs would also let you restore the image in case your computer no longer booted because of file system corruption or a malware infection.

If all that went wrong with the computer was the hard drive I would not purchase a new computer.  Any new computer can have a hard drive failure. 

Edit: I am referring to HDDs in regards to life expectancy, not SSDs.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 September 2016 - 09:56 AM.

#5 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,418 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:52 AM

Or you could just replace the hard drive for $50? If everything else works on the laptop I don't see why you would want to spend 700 on a new one. Spend a little more than $50 and get an SSD. No moving parts and less prone to failure.

Edited by DeimosChaos, 28 September 2016 - 09:53 AM.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#6 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:26 AM

Replace the drive for a minimum price of $50. Next time, don't bother with laptops in the "consumer range". Lenovo/Dell/HP/etc's business laptops are miles ahead of their other laptops in terms of build quality. I never recommend the cheap "consumer grade" laptops.

Or you could just replace the hard drive for $50? If everything else works on the laptop I don't see why you would want to spend 700 on a new one. Spend a little more than $50 and get an SSD. No moving parts and less prone to failure.

A lack of moving parts does not decrease the chance of failure. SSD's are just as prone to failure as anything else. In the past year I have witnessed two different SSD's from differing brands die well before they were due. Whereas I have yet to buy a WD drive that died early. Of course, everybody's experience is different. In my experience SSD's are not more reliable than "regular" hard drives.

#7 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,418 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:29 AM

I honestly haven't had too many issues with my hard drives. I should have clarified that they are less prone mechanical wise. Sure they can have their issues as well. But they won't fail if you drop the laptop since there are no moving parts. That type of thing.

#8 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:35 AM

More durable or rugged than a HDD, certainly. SSD's are relatively new, so I expect there will be a number of bad ones out there.  Platter hard drives from the right brand tend to be pretty good these days. I remember how many hard drives I went through as a child. Good thing Seagate fixed all that and now makes quality products.  :lmao:

Anyway, OP just replace the drive, much cheaper than buying a laptop all the time. Hard drives are often the first thing to go in a cheaply priced computer. You can replace the current dead/dying one with something much better quality.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:35 AM

?If you drop it during a write operation, could the SSD behave like removing a usb stick prematurely [during a write operations]?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#10 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:43 AM

?If you drop it during a write operation, could the SSD behave like removing a usb stick prematurely [during a write operations]?

If the cable became disconnected or destroyed, yes. In a laptop, that is extremely unlikely.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:57 AM

As others have pointed out...replacing a system because of a hard drive problem...just doesn't make sense.  The cost of a replacement drive...when compared to the cost of a system...is likely to be circa 10%.    You don't buy a new car every time you have a flat...you don't buy a new system when a hard drive fails or needs to be replaced.

Louis

#12 lyssa615

lyssa615
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 02:01 PM

Ok, that does make sense. I am an amateur, so if I install a new hard drive how would I install the Windows OS since it came pre-loaded on my laptop? I don't have a CD. 

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,600 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 02:22 PM

What OS was pre-installed on the computer? 

#14 lyssa615

lyssa615
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 02:52 PM

It was 8.1 but I then upgraded to 10. 

#15 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,418 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 03:09 PM

You should be able to use this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users