Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 installer won't recognize SSD drives

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OnceKnown

OnceKnown

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 28 September 2016 - 03:30 AM

Hi, I just built myself a new computer but I'm having the hardest time trying to get windows 7 OS on my new Samsung V-nand SSD 950 Pro M.2 NVM express.

The bios detects that certain SSD to be present and also my other SSD: Samsung V-nand SSD 850 EVO

When I reach the installer, it states that there's no drives detected even though my BIOS states that they are there. 

I have removed every other drive/usb that was nonessential to the Installation but still the installer couldn't pick up the drive.

My hardware is as follows:

MOBO: ASUS Z170-A RTL

Ram: GSkill 8GB 3200

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K 3.50G

GPU: AMD VGA Sapphire 100406 NT 

I've tried messing with the BIOS here and there following online suggestions but nothing worked. I also looked for a bios update of my motherboard from the ASUS website but I couldn't see any options/files for download.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,231 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 28 September 2016 - 03:45 AM

You could try formatting the disk first, I've had disks appear invisible (or not appear if you will) until I formatted them.

You could use GParted on Parted Magic, or whatever other Linux boot disk you like to do the job. UBCD has Parted Magic on it.

#3 OnceKnown

OnceKnown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 01:42 PM

Hi TsVk!

I think I did something similar to what you have described, but I am unsure of the method I tried would be giving the same results that your suggestion would provide.

I tried pressing "Shift+F10" at the welcome screen to get into diskpart and listing the disks that it sees, so far only my Samsung V-nand SSD 850 EVO was detected and not my Samsung V-nand SSD 950 Pro M.2 NVM express.

My plan was to install the OS on my 850 EVO then cloning it to my 950 Pro, but after trying to clear/format the SSD through the cmd window, the installer still can't pick up the SSDs.

I'll try your solution later tonight. 

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 28 September 2016 - 02:06 PM

I would remove any hard drive other than the one on which I intended to install Win 7.

What version of Win 7 do you have?

FWIW

Louis

#5 OnceKnown

OnceKnown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 02:33 PM

Hi Hamluis,

I have tried your suggestion earlier before posting my post. I left the SSD 920 PRO M.2 as the only SSD attached to my motherboard and tried running that way also, but it still couldn't detect it.

The windows 7 I'm trying to install is windows 7 ultimate. I just reached out to ASUS support and they have suggested doing a BIOS update with the file link they have given me. I'll try working on it tonight and updating you guys when possible.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,578 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 28 September 2016 - 02:45 PM

On the main page for the MB I noticed this footnote regarding M.2. I am not sure what SATA express is though.

Intel® Z170 chipset : 

1 x M.2 x4 Socket 3, *2, with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (both SATA & PCIE mode)*3

M.2 shares SATA mode with SATA Express. Change this item before installing M.2 SATA devices

From this page it seems Windows 7 does not have the native drivers to detect this device but the driver Samsung posts on the site requires Windows to install it so I am not sure how you would install Windows 7 to the device.

See this page. Use at your own risk. The poster links to drivers you put on the root of a USB flash drive. Boot the install disk with the USB flash drive attached. Click on the Load Drive link in the lower left window. The files should be unzipped and on the root of the flash drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 September 2016 - 03:06 PM.

#7 OnceKnown

OnceKnown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 01:13 PM

Hi Everybody,

I just wanted to let you guys know that I solved the problem with help from JohnC_21.

I'm just posting this here if someone else ran into a similar situation.

Originally I was installing my windows OS by a USB Flash drive, but it seemed that the new motherboard I have couldn't pick it up. I moved to using an optical drive (disc drive) and inserting my windows installer in there. Here are the steps that worked for me.

Step 1: Download the Samsung NVMe drivers to a disc (or usb if your motherboard can pick up the USB)

See this page. Use at your own risk. The poster links to drivers you put on the root of a USB flash drive. Boot the install disk with the USB flash drive attached. Click on the Load Drive link in the lower left window. The files should be unzipped and on the root of the flash drive.

Step 2: Get a Disc with a windows installer on it and use an optical drive connected by SATA with power to your motherboard

Step 3: Set boot priority to optical drive, save and reboot

Step 4: Get to the windows install menu and click okay pass the two pop up windows stating that it can't find your NVMe SSD drive

Step 5: Remove the windows installer disc from optical drive and put in disc with the NVMe drivers

Step 6: Load the drivers from the left lower corner button, after the drivers are loaded, you should see your Samsung NVMe SSD                   drive pop up as an option to install windows OS on.

Step 7: Replace the the NVMe driver disc with your Windows installer disc

Step 8: Format your newly found Samsung NVMe SSD.

Step 9. Start installing your OS.

Thanks once again for everyone's help.

Edited by OnceKnown, 29 September 2016 - 01:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users