Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD's inaccessible in File Explorer, visible in Device Manager after reinstall.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 palehorse864

palehorse864

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 11:30 PM

I recently did a clean install of Windows 10 to fix what I thought were some graphics driver issues, and to give myself a fresh start for diagnostics. Everything went fine in that regard. My boot drive showed up, as well as my oldest hard drive. I booted into Windows 10, but two of my drives are missing, along with all the files on them.  I didn't format them or delete their partitions when I reinstalled, not wanting to lose their data. I found my old drive present, along with my freshly formatted boot drive, but none of the others. I checked device manager, and they are present, but they don't show up in either File Explorer or Disk Management.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 palehorse864

palehorse864
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 11:41 PM

Okay, I solved this one myself, but I'm going to post the solution in case anyone ever needs it. If there's one thing I hate, it's googling for a solution to a PC issue and finding either a message where someone says, "nevermind, I solved it myself", or someone closed the conversation without answering it, but cluttered up the google results.

​What I did was go into diskmgmt.msc. I went down to the bottom panel and looked through the physical discs. I found the two I was missing, but no volumes. I right clicked, and the option "Import foreign" appeared. I clicked this, and it imported both drives. I now have all my data back. Time to thank my lucky charms and get a second external backup drive.

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 11:46 PM

Thank you for sharing with us how you have resolve the issue it will help others with same issue you had.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users