Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question for Electrical Engineers regarding Spoofing of USB Port Amperage

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 06:23 PM

For a project i am working on i am looking for a way to build a device that will sit between a hub and a device and spoof the amperage of a wall charger.

Basically a problem that i have been having is I have a usb powered battery charger that is supposed to be able to operate at 2 amps but when plugging it into any sort of usb hub it will only draw 500mah even on a dedicated charging port and even when using a 4 plug power cable which should allow the max amperage from multiple ports on the hub resulting in a total of 2 amps.

I want to set up a breadboard project that basically connects to a usb hub via the multi ended power cable and spoofs the amperage of a dedicated wall charger to the connected device taking the negotiation of max amperage with the hub away from the device and giving it to the user as a manual setting. This would also allow me to trick the device into being able to use 2amp charging ports that it currently cannot negotiate with properly.

I know its kinda impractically but basically this is me just being bored and wanting to play around with a soldering iron for a bit to see if its possible :)

Edited by mikeloeven, 27 September 2016 - 06:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,852 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:17 AM

I'm all for eliminating the use of port powered "toys".  I repaired too many port interfaces and toasted connectors.  My wifes laptop has fuses installed to stop overcurrent and protect the unit.   Externally powered hubs help but can be overloaded too.  The current sense is an important part and any changes could result in damage to the unit and even fire.

#3 mikeloeven

mikeloeven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 11 October 2016 - 03:07 AM

Actually this is for a pet project I am working on involving getting my devices to fast charge from a home made 18650 battery pack. The main issue is that the device is powerful enough to support power hungry devices but too stupid to negotiate with them IE lacking the Qualcomm chip that tells the device what the port can provide thus resulting in a default amperage of 500mah

Basically I wanted a device that could essentially provide the fast charge specification to ports lacking it allowing me to manually set how much power the device can negotiate

personally i would never use this with my desktop or a data hub :P

Edited by mikeloeven, 11 October 2016 - 03:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users