Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there a log tool for osx for use in the security forums?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 minimalmay

minimalmay

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 03:59 PM

In the prep notes it mentions running Farbar Recovery Scan Tool, but of course that's a windows thing. Is there a mac equivalent or should I just post in the security forums and get guidance there?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 05:56 PM

I suggest posting the prerequisite FRST log in the Malware Removal Logs forum.  Worst thing that can happen is that they advise you of what can be done and what cannot be done.

Preparation Guide, Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html

Louis

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:19 PM

I suggest posting the prerequisite FRST log in the Malware Removal Logs forum.  Worst thing that can happen is that they advise you of what can be done and what cannot be done.

Preparation Guide, Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html

Louis

I believe the original poster's point was that FRST is a Windows only program and since the original poster seems to have an issue with a Mac, it is impossible to run the FRST program as requested in the link you provided. So, the original poster was asking if there was some Mac equivalent "scan tool" that should be used.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:24 PM

In the prep notes it mentions running Farbar Recovery Scan Tool, but of course that's a windows thing. Is there a mac equivalent or should I just post in the security forums and get guidance there?
Thanks

For now, I would post in the Mac forum in a new thread what your issue is and we can then see if we can help. The reality is that there are very few Mac malware items out in the wild, so it is entirely possible that your issue may not be malware related. And if it does seem like it might actually be malware related, we can then figure out what the best move is...whether moving the topic to the Am I Infected? forum to see if one of the Malware Response Team members can help or something else (I believe that the Malware Response Team is mainly, if not totally, oriented to dealing with Windows malware, but I could be wrong...and hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong).

#5 minimalmay

minimalmay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 02 October 2016 - 02:36 PM

Thanks folks, I'll post a new thread with my issue (well, what appears to be an issue, anyway)

#6 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 05 October 2016 - 11:39 AM

The Console utility is quite sophisticated when it comes to logging events in Mac OS. 

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:35 AM

I would start with the system logs and the private/var/log/install logs.

http://pondini.org/OSX/Logs.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users