Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nvidia GTX 560 TI outputs video until I install the Nvidia drivers.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 palehorse864

palehorse864

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 03:13 PM

By way of introduction, I'll give a run down of my hardware, so that you may know what kind of system has the problem.

MSI X99S SLI Plus Mobo

Intel Core I7-5820K

16 GB Ram.

EVGA Geforce GTX 560 TI

Samsung SSD 850 Pro - main boot drive.

My computer has been running pretty well. I recently messed up something in Windows 10 though, so I figured I had never done a fully fresh install (I just did the upgrade from Win7 previouslly while keeping my files), so I backed up my files and did a full scorched earth update.

The computer has been fine since that, and has been running smoothly. I got a 144 Hz monitory yesterday (Asus VG248QE) and hooked it up. After a little fiddling with hertz rates, I found I had to hook it up to a dual-link DVI cable to get 144hz going. I did so, and it was absolutely smooth. Wonderful. I played with it for a bit, and even went to www.blurbusters.com to get a 120hz lightboost utility (Not sure if this was a mistake).  It worked just fine, and any blur was gone. I decided to test this on a bit of TF2, and played for a few minutes. After about three to five minutes, the screen turned grey and the system rebooted. I saw my bios screen, and then the rotating windows loading logo. After that point though, the screen turned black and I got no signal.  I rebooted it again, same problem.

I fiddled with this again, trying to get it going.  I tried my new monitor and my secondary monitor, and they can get into bios, but windows is a no-go past the loading screen.

Since I had done a scorched earth reinstate of Windows 10 about two weeks ago, I figured it wouldn't hurt to do another one, but this time, I made an install flash drive from the microsoft ISO utility on another computer.  Once I had the drive, I booted to it and installed windows from scratch, wiping out all partitions on the boot drive and recreating them. Windows did its whole installation procedure, rebooted, a few times, and then I found i was successful. I could see the windows desktop, access the taskbar, everything.  Windows 10 was running nearly 100%, save for being stuck at 1024x768 due to the default windows driver.

I went to nvidia's website to download the latest drivers and get everything going in full resolution. They downloaded just fine.  I ran them, and they began to install with a message telling me the driver was installing. Partway through, i lost signal to display.  This has happened before, and it usually only lasts about a second or two while the video card swaps to the new driver.  This time however, the screen remained black, with no input, and after a minute or two, the pc rebooted. I let it go past the bios post screen, and again, I saw the windows loading dots circling around.  After it finished loading, I lost signal, waited a minute or two, and the computer rebooted itself.

Now I'm back where i was earlier. No video signal coming from windows, and the PC reboots itself after a certain period, this on a completely fresh install of windows this time, nothing preserved. 

I thought i might have something wrong in BIOS, so I did a full CMOS reset (This mobo has a little button you can stick a pin in while it's off, neat) and got confirmation that things had reset. Ok, I booted windows again, post screen, windows loading, black screen. DANG IT!

I ran system restore, rolled back to a point right after I had first installed windows. It booted okay with the default driver, no problem.  Rather than use the nvidia driver I just downloaded, I tried an old one that came packaged with my new monitor. I copied it to the hard drive (My DVDROM drive is slow), ran it from the desktop, and the same thing happened. It made it part way, lost signal, and then rebooted. Another system restore restored the default windows driver, but any subsequent attempts have resulted in the same problem.

Figuring it might be one monitor or the other, I dragged the old monitor the 144hz one replaced back in, sat it on my desk, and hooked it up the way it's been for the past few months. I rebooted, saw the bios screen, but windows has the same issue. So, three monitors in all have failed to respond with nvidia drivers installed.

The only real change since the PC was working was the new monitor, and the 120hz strobe program from blur busters. The results of that should have vanished with the fresh windows install though, as I believe all that information was kept on the software side, which I laid waste to after the problems began.

Anyone have a new avenue for investigation I might try, or, perhaps, if this sounds familiar, you might have a solution.

Also, I'm not sure if this belongs in this forum, or the windows BSOD one, so please correct me if I posted it to the wrong place.

Thank you for your help.

P.S. & Edit: Thinking it might be my Motherboard firmware, which has been upgraded since it left the factory, I downloaded the most up to date 2016 firmware onto a flash drive and used M-Flash to update it. The update went without a problem, my post screen changed appearance, and I have a snazzy new bios settings menu (roughly the same, but a cooler look with things in more convenient places). I am still suffering the same issue though, so that didn't fix it.

Edited by palehorse864, 27 September 2016 - 03:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 palehorse864

palehorse864
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 10:44 PM

I have now tried a few things. I borrowed a Geforce GT 660 (roughly $40 bucks) from a family member and replaced my GTX 560 TI. I booted into Windows, downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers, plugged in the 144hz monitor that was there at the beginning of the problem. This card works. It runs at 144hz in 1920x1080 with no problems.  I powered down, removed it, put the GTX 560 TI back in, and it made it to the post screen, but once it reached windows and tried to load the nvidia drivers, it lost signal again and then rebooted.

​I'm thinking it could be one of two things.  Either the card just finally went bad after two or three years of faithful service, or I have a power issue that has only now appeared.  I somewhat doubt that though, as no monitor will work, and I have had no power issues with my setup up to this point.

#3 palehorse864

palehorse864
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:47 PM

Well, that's fun. I just ordered a new video card, as the loaner video card I got seemed to work well, albeit at a snails pace in 3d applications.  I come home tonight, and I lose video again on the loaner card.  Now I'm not sure what to check.

Removing ram from this motherboard is a little harder than putting it in, so I'm being careful right now not to break the tabs opening them. One side is cooperative, the other is less so. Once I get to that though, I'll try running it on one ramstick at a time, and see if it's a ram related issue. I'll burn memtest86 as well. Anyone got any other ideas? I'm not sure how I would test my power supply output.  It's a seasonic gold 750w, and should be more than sufficient for the task at hand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users