Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Windows annoying updates

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GaryS1964

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 02:27 PM

A couple of days ago I was in a hurry and needed some information from my PC. When I turned it on it decided to update and while it seemed like forever since I was in a hurry it probably only took about five minutes to complete the process. This is not the first time this has happened to me. I was making a presentation to a club when I was asked a question. To answer it I needed to turn on my laptop and demonstrate the solution using software I had installed on the laptop. Again Windows decided to take that moment to update and this time the process took at least 10 minutes while it downloaded and installed files then restarted itself and the process continued after the restart. Very annoying. Fortunately I was not in a business environment where I was running late for a meeting or attempting to show something important to a client.

How can I make windows updates work like they did in Windows 7 where Windows would notify me updates were available and I could choose the ones I wanted to install and when the update would actually occur?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xAnti_HerOx

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 04:14 PM

Professional, Enterprise, and Education editions of Windows 10 have access to group policy and registry settings for this, but Home editions of Windows 10 do not. 

HOWEVER, there is a work around to that by setting the Network Connection to "Metered" so Updates do not auto download. So, if you don’t want Windows 10 automatically downloading updates on your home network connection, just set it as a metered connection. Windows 10 will automatically download updates when you connect your device to an unmetered network, or when you set the network it’s connected to as unmetered again. And yes, Windows will remember this setting for each individual network, so you can disconnect from that network and reconnect all you like. But this trick does not work if you have it connected via Ethernet. 

If you do not know how you can find a nice detailed explanation how to *HERE*

Edited by xAnti_HerOx, 27 September 2016 - 04:16 PM.

"The human spirit must prevail over technology". -Albert Einstein 

#3 GaryS1964

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 10:38 PM

Thanks for the information. I have the pro version so I'll take a look at group policy. Seems to me I've read that you can take care of this problem with group policy.

Thanks for reminding me.

#4 britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,525 posts
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:02 PM

You already can do a lot of configuration regarding Windows Updates, but you cannot choose which to apply or not, at least not on Win 10 Home.  Even on other versions it is expected that the organizations' IT departments will apply updates over time, but not necessarily when Microsoft releases them.

In Settings, Update & Security, you can use the "Change Active Hours" link to create a window during which Windows will not ever restart your computer without asking you first.  You also have the option of setting a custom restart time for a one time application of a pending update using the "Restart options" link.

You generally only get updates applied on boot up if you consistently turn your machine off during the overnight hours (which is when most automatic restarts to apply updates will be performed unless you've set your active hours to cover that territory).  If you had pending updates, shut down your machine, and restart it, it is going to apply those pending updates at the next restart.

Microsoft is also applying this update policy to Windows 8.1, 8, and even 7 (I think, I know for the other two).  As a support technician, I've seen again and again the havoc that is wrought by a wide variety of end users believing that they know better than the operating system's maker what updates should and should not be applied.  As a result, I see precisely why the "pick and choose" system is being replaced even on older versions of Windows.  [And, before anyone says it, I have been and some of my clients have been hit by a "buggy" update.  Those are rare, relatively speaking, and with system health telemetry are being identified much more rapidly than they once were.  The Anniversary Update schedule has been greatly lengthened secondary to unexpected issues occurring for those of us who were "bleeding edge" update recipients.]

Edited by britechguy, 29 September 2016 - 11:04 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users