Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any way to test Hard Drive controller on Motherboard?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 spgreenfield

spgreenfield

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 02:26 PM

Have a brand new SSD - it's either failed (because "friend" who installed it didn't KNOW you have to update the bios for an SSD) or the controller is failing on the motherboard.  Right now I've installed an old HDD in laptop and am going through the excruciatingly painful installation and update of Windows 7 pro.  And losing my mind I think.  My "shop" (who finally updated the bios and got it running for a couple weeks until it totally died) wants me to just buy a new HDD (he dislikes SSD's in laptops - thinks they're unstable) and of course PAY him to install Win 7.  I'm too stubborn to just give up without a fight.  We've decided that it's either the SSD was bad (so far I haven't had any kinds of errors on it with the old HDD in it updating etc.) and the errors were mostly boot errors - unable to find boot device....no HD installed, etc. Didn't get past the black boot screen errors.

So my question is how can I test to see if it's the controller failing on the motherboard.  The failures were erratic and unpredictable.  At this point not having a fully updated version of Win 7 yet - I'm not sure if it's being tested properly anyway.

I know that there are tests for the drives to see if there are bad sectors, etc., but is there a test that will show a bad hard drive controller?

Thanks!

Pam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 spgreenfield

spgreenfield
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 02:27 PM

Sorry - Dell Latitude 3450 with Win 7 pro os.  Everything else is stock.  Here's my original post regarding the crazy stuff going on!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/617949/dell-latitude-3450-kernal-power-41-random-shut-downs/?p=4026333 

Edited by spgreenfield, 27 September 2016 - 02:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users