Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 won't sleep

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GaryS1964

GaryS1964

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 02:17 PM

Since the last Windows 10 update my PC refuses to sleep. I attempt to put it into sleep and as soon as it shuts down a second or two later it starts up again. At first I thought maybe I was bumping the keyboard/mouse tray as I was getting up but I made sure I didn't touch anything and it still won't sleep. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 04:49 PM

Try this:
1.  Get ALL available Windows Updates.  It may take several trips to get them all
2.  Get ALL available, W10 compatible updates for your system from the manufacturer's website (to include BIOS/UEFI).
3.  Get ALL available, W1o compatible updates for the programs and any additional hardware installed on your computer from the developer's website

I suspect that this behavior is actually a BSOD - but you're not able to see the BSOD (this is relatively common with sleep/hibernate restarting issues).

Please run this report collecting tool so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.
NOTE:  On problem systems it can take up to 20 minutes for the log files to complete.  Please be patient and let it run.

If you still have problems with it running, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 06:37 PM

Please follow Usasma suggestion also lets found out what woke up your computer from sleep mode. Follow the instructions at below link to find out what is waking up your computer.

"Find Out What Woke Up Your Computer"
https://www.dost-tech.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=94

2GvnEq2.gif

#4 GaryS1964

GaryS1964
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 29 September 2016 - 10:34 PM

Well it's sleeping fine now. Maybe there was some task running in the background that just wouldn't allow the computer to sleep. I don't know why Windows doesn't just tell you something is going on and it will go to sleep when it's done. It's kind of like when you try to delete a file and Windows won't saying it is open in some program only Windows doesn't tell you what program it is so you can shut it down. But I think that is often BS because I have shut down all the programs that could possibly be using that file and still get the error.

Thanks for the advice.

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:05 PM

You are very welcome!

When you place your computer into sleep power state some components remain powered so the computer can wake from input from the keyboard, LAN, or a USB device. Also schedule task can wake computer from sleep power mode state that is why i have ask you to check my tutorials to find out what is waking the computer. Next time if this issue happens follow my instructions at my tutorial to found out what has wake the computer and disable that device or program.

Edited by FreeBooter, 29 September 2016 - 11:06 PM.

2GvnEq2.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users