Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop tracking

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 curtise

curtise

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 01:29 PM

I recently retrieved an old laptop out of a company recycling bin. The hard drive was removed and I installed a new one. My question is; is there any way this laptop can be tracked? The company updated old laptops with new and just discarded the old ones. Seems like such a waste to me as I can install hard drives and donate the laptops to someone who needs one.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 01:50 PM

Not really. Any tracking things would have been software on the installed hard drive, but since it doesn't have one... Potentially they could track via serial number. But really.... if the thing was in a recycle bin they put it there on purpose and don't care if someone takes it. At least that is my thoughts. Free pickings for things in trash!

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 02:36 PM

I guess this was a Windows laptop? Not an Apple Macbook?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#4 curtise

curtise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 04:46 PM

It was a windows laptop.

#5 SafetySteve

SafetySteve

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 13 October 2016 - 10:12 PM

Sometime between approximately 2007 and 2010 I had a Dell business grade desktop that had Tracking turned on.  Even with a wiped hard drive the BIOS was able to reinstall the tracking agent and enable that feature.  I have read that on business grade laptops and desktops this feature is often present.  

The question is that if they removed the hard drive and threw the devices in the recycle bin, would they care?  

#6 curtise

curtise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 07:38 AM

I'm not sure they would care. I just want to install hard drives in them and donate them to kids who could use them for school but I also do not want to risk losing my job.

#7 SafetySteve

SafetySteve

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 15 October 2016 - 03:36 PM

To answer your original question of can it be tracked, I would say that Yes, it probably can still be tracked.  

Would the IT Department be interested in tracking it?  That depends.  What ultimately happens to those laptops that enter the recycle bin?  Do they get donated to a refurbishment channel and resold or distributed to needy?  Does the company get a tax break or money for those old devices?  Do they havea problem with employees taking the devices and reselling them?  Do they want to investigate that?  

Why not ask about them?  Who knows, maybe you can even get first dibs on future recycled computers and grab the best ones.

#8 Kikobrian55

Kikobrian55

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 05 February 2017 - 05:49 AM

Maybe there is, like the police has a machine to find lost cellphones ever there is not SIM card on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users