Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backing UP

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 CandyGirl1959

CandyGirl1959

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 01:26 PM

Hi,

I was trying to do a back up on my Dell Inspiron i3, i put the disc in, it ran so it said put another disc in i did it ran.  Then it says there were errors and the discs i had made were not any good to use for restoring system cause of errors & to put another disc in. I decided not to put more disc in until i can resolve what all errors & fix them.

Should i continue or what i don't know what to do.  I've been having some trouble with my keyboard on pc will type something totally different than the keys i'm pressing.  It's listed under Forum: Keyboard Problems if someone wants to take a look & tell what i should do, i'm very confused. 

PLEASE HELP!

THANKS!!!!

CandyGirl1959 :cowgirl:

Edited by hamluis, 27 September 2016 - 03:44 PM.
Mioved from Win 7 to Imaging/Backup - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 01:38 PM

I would not recommend using DVDs for doing a backup. Use a USB external hard drive instead. Is this a file backup or a complete disk image backup?

The keyboard problem seems to be hardware related. Does the same thing happen in Safe Mode?

#3 CandyGirl1959

CandyGirl1959
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 02:47 PM

i only have dvd or cd's, & what's the problem with using them?  As the keyboard issue, i have not used safe mode, & there are 3 safe modes that are listed so don't know which one to use.

Thanks,

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 03:30 PM

Backing and restoring to a external drive is faster and safer although it depends on how you are doing the backup. For copying files you have to a DVD then that is okay but if you are doing a full backup over multiple DVDs there is always a chance one of the DVDs gets corrupted rendering the whole backup set useless.

Use Safe Mode, not Safe Mode with Networking or Safe Mode with command prompt.

#5 CandyGirl1959

CandyGirl1959
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 04:27 PM

hi,

so i guess i should wait to backup my system til whatever is wrong with it is fixed.  But i don't have a seperate hard drive to use & don't have any idea how many zip drives it would take.

Thanks,

CandyGirl1959 :cowgirl:  :cowgirl:

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 05:08 PM

Yes, you want to get your computer fixed but it may also be a good idea to do a complete disk backup if you should ever get an external hard drive. Doing this would allow you to recover your computer should the hard drive fail or the computer will not boot because of file system errors. By doing this you would not have to start at scratch and reinstall all your programs. Taking a complete backup of your computer with all your programs and updates installed would all you to do a recovery and be back up in minutes compared to hours for reinstalling your programs and updating the OS.

Two programs that will allow you to do this are Macrium Free and Aomei Backupper. Both will allow you to backup to DVDs but if your complete disk lets say has 120GB of data you would need approx 30 DVDs to do the complete disk backup. If by zip drives you mean the old 100MB Iomega Zip Disk then that would take over 1200 disks.

When your budget allows I recommend you get yourself a 1TB drive. This would hold the equivalent of over 200 DVDs

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 27 September 2016 - 05:50 PM

Here's a 1TB drive for $50, free shipping and no tax (depending on what state you are in).

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 05:56 PM

That doesn't include the USB enclosure which would cost extra but that may a be a better way to go as most portable drives today integrate the USB bridge card with the drive's PCB. If the bridge card fails you are basically out of luck in recovering your data unless a professional recovery service is used.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 September 2016 - 05:57 PM.

#9 CandyGirl1959

CandyGirl1959
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 06:58 PM

hi,

Can you tell me what "PCB" stands for?  And i don't understand, in the past i was able to back up my system on about 4 CD's.  So what has happened?  I told you i am a newbie as far as experience with computers.  When i get some extra cash i want to buy a 2-3T seperate hardrive. But i will look around at some places.  What are those programs for that you mentioned in your previous message? Please explain them to me.

ThANKS,

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:19 PM

PCB is Printed Circuit Board. On portable drives the usb connection is soldered to the USB bridge card which is also part of the PCB. On a bare drive with separate enclosure you can replace the enclosure with a new one if the USB connector breaks from the bridge card or if the bridge card goes bad. 

Click on your computer and look at your hard drive. It will show the capacity and how much is free. Subtract the two and you will see how much data is on the drive. 

In the image below you can see the separate bridge card which has the USB connection. 

parts-100478529-large.jpg

#11 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2016 - 08:17 PM

Western Digital makes an external drive called the Passport. It's a stand-alone device that is self-contained. A 1 TB version costs $59 on Amazon. If you are an Amazon Prime customer, you can get it with free shipping.

This device comes with its own carrying case and a USB cable that will work with either a USB 2.0 or a USB 3.0 interface. I have a 2 TB version and it works great for doing backups. It has plenty of space to allow multiple levels of backups from different dates in case you need to go back and recover something that you lost before the last backup was done.

#12 CandyGirl1959

CandyGirl1959
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:59 PM

Hi Warthog-fan,

THANKS everyone for answering me, i truly do Appreciate you finding the
information for me on a stand alone hard drive. Yes, i am a big fan of Amazon & Ebay. In fact looking @
some leatherette seat covers for my Mustang GT. I have been so impressed so far by the kindness & prompt
help i receive on here.

God Bless You All,

CandyGirl1959 :cowgirl: :cowgirl:

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 05 October 2016 - 03:19 PM

"...Western Digital makes an external drive called the Passport..."  these have on-board, circuit-level encryption, correct?  For the purpose of restoring an OS partition or total hard-drive, would the usb or dvd boot have to have Smartware/Drive Unlock?  And, basically the same settings such as password if used?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#14 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:33 AM

Roland,

I have to admit that I have not really looked into the internal workings of the Passport drive, and I don't use the software that came with it. Using the software that came with it, it has the ability to be connected to the computer at all times, and do real-time saves of data to itself so that you always have the latest copy of any information on your computer. It seems to me, though, that if I were to somehow pick up some ransomware, that the ransomware would also encrypt the data on it and I'd end up with no backup at all.

I just use the drive to do backups of my three computers, using Windows Backup and I create a System Image each time. That's all I really need the drive to do for me. There is more than enough space to keep several levels of backup for each machine.

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:26 AM

Have you restored a folder or a file or an image from this HD yet?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users